PDA

View Full Version : I don't like the new marketing tactics

Xarok
April 30th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I think one of the greatest things for a company to be is humble, and stay away from typical marketing arrogance.

This new pop up banner display "Ubuntu is full of things you'll never use"
"Such as an easy uninstall feature. You won't have to use it"
"You'll never go back" etc.

It's really cheesy in my opinion, and reminds me of typical corporate marketing and greed.
Just say that there's a new feature that allows you to uninstall easily if you have to.
Just be strait forward and humble about it.

I feel one of the main reasons Apple fails to get Mac users over from Windows is that they're kind of asses about it and constantly talking about it's superiority which raises people's expectations way too much, which is the worst thing you can do.
In the end they just **** off Windows users.

I know Canonical hasn't done too much of this so far, but I can sense it going in that direction.

So, please don't follow in their footsteps.
I do want to see Ubuntu succeed.

just my 2 cents

clairegrrl
April 30th, 2008, 05:44 AM
ummm...how can you call it "marketing arrogance." You didnt pay anything for it, so I dont think you can say it was marketed. JMO

akiratheoni
April 30th, 2008, 05:45 AM
The only thing is that how else are you going to market Ubuntu? It's tough for Apple to market their OS so they NEED to show why theirs is better. But Ubuntu has it even worse than Apple because no one has heard of Linux.

I mean, I do agree with you; I would rather not resort to mudslinging. But if Ubuntu wants a market share, it's going to have to downplay on its competitors and make their features sound better.

hardyn
April 30th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Where is easy uninstall advertised? As far as i know the only place where easy uninstall is located is in WUBI, and that isnt *really* a cannonical product.

Ubuntu is the "gateway" linux, and if that makes idea of learning a new OS more appealing to windows migrants, then what does it really matter?

You cant be too humble with marketing, or basicly knowbody will find out about you. Speaking on the money end, does cannonical charge a licence fee for use of the ubuntu logo? how do they make money to keep the organiziation running? Im sure ubuntu cannot live off Mark for ever?

akiratheoni
April 30th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Where is easy uninstall advertised? As far as i know the only place where easy uninstall is located is in WUBI, and that isnt *really* a cannonical product.

He's referring to http://www.ubuntu.com

I believe the ad itself is referring to the bundled applications. For example, in Windows it's tough to get rid of IE if you don't want it (okay, it's impossible) but in Ubuntu it's as easy as unchecking Firefox's box in the add/remove manager.

Xarok
April 30th, 2008, 05:54 AM
He's referring to http://www.ubuntu.com

I believe the ad itself is referring to the bundled applications. For example, in Windows it's tough to get rid of IE if you don't want it (okay, it's impossible) but in Ubuntu it's as easy as unchecking Firefox's box in the add/remove manager.

They're referring to the new Wubi installer that installs the OS in a disk image right on the NTFS partition.
They don't exactly mention that which is another issue. People may get it confused with uninstalling programs in Linux.

ummm...how can you call it "marketing arrogance." You didnt pay anything for it, so I dont think you can say it was marketed. JMO

They make money off of support services, just like other Linux companies.

Ubuntu is the "gateway" linux, and if that makes idea of learning a new OS more appealing to windows migrants, then what does it really matter?

You cant be too humble with marketing, or basicly knowbody will find out about you. Speaking on the money end, does cannonical charge a licence fee for use of the ubuntu logo? how do they make money to keep the organiziation running? Im sure ubuntu cannot live off Mark for ever?

There is no problem with marketing or advertising themselves, I just don't like the way that they're starting to do it now.

Don't you agree that saying "You'll never go back" is arrogant?
And then when some noob uses linux and discovers none of their apps work they're not gonna stick around for long.

They should just be strait forward and say specifically what they offer with each new release.
Such as simply...

"Now with 8.04 it's easier than ever to install and uninstall Ubuntu with the new Wubi installer"
"No need to repartition your hard drive" etc.

swoll1980
April 30th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Ubuntu is a business. You new this didn't you?

akiratheoni
April 30th, 2008, 05:55 AM
They're referring to the new Wubi installer.

Really??? I must have misinterpreted it :(

I fail at reading comprehension. Mm, this doesn't bode well for my SATs this Saturday...

banjobacon
April 30th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Don't you agree that saying "You'll never go back" is arrogant?

No, it's not arrogant. It's a joke.

By including the uninstall feature, they recognize and acknowledge that some people will go back, and made it easy for them to do so.

Xarok
April 30th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Ubuntu is a business. You new this didn't you?
Ubuntu is a linux distro. Canonical is the business.

No, it's not arrogant. It's a joke.

By including the uninstall feature, they recognize and acknowledge that some people will go back, and made it easy for them to do so.

Give me a break, it doesn't sound like a joke at all.
Sounds like typical marketing slang.

banjobacon
April 30th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Give me a break, it doesn't sound like a joke at all.
Sounds like typical marketing slang.

Slang?

Xarok
April 30th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Slang?
lingo?
you know what I mean.

phrostbyte
April 30th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I like it.

More "typical marketing slang" is exactly what Ubuntu needs. Marketers use these type of advertisements because they WORK.

banjobacon
April 30th, 2008, 06:56 AM
lingo?
you know what I mean.

And you know what I mean. It's a joke.

Why would they advertise a feature, and then call it redundant? Because it's a joke.

mozetti
April 30th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I think you all have too much time on your hands. Go outside! :D

toupeiro
April 30th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I like it.

More "typical marketing slang" is exactly what Ubuntu needs. Marketers use these type of advertisements because they WORK.

+1

Saint Angeles
April 30th, 2008, 08:47 AM
most people i know that try ubuntu, never go back to windows.

i see nothing unethical about spreading facts.

duckgoesoink
April 30th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Ubuntu needs marketing. They want to gain "market share" as I understand it, therefore they need to get their name out and be memorable. I like their new frontpage banner - it's cheeky enough to entice people in. (Yes I think it's funny.) They need a few more variations though.

I think they could also benefit from some kind of viral marketing.

mrgnash
April 30th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I think one of the greatest things for a company to be is humble, and stay away from typical marketing arrogance.

This new pop up banner display "Ubuntu is full of things you'll never use"
"Such as an easy uninstall feature. You won't have to use it"
"You'll never go back" etc.

It's really cheesy in my opinion, and reminds me of typical corporate marketing and greed.
Just say that there's a new feature that allows you to uninstall easily if you have to.
Just be strait forward and humble about it.

I feel one of the main reasons Apple fails to get Mac users over from Windows is that they're kind of asses about it and constantly talking about it's superiority which raises people's expectations way too much, which is the worst thing you can do.
In the end they just **** off Windows users.

I know Canonical hasn't done too much of this so far, but I can sense it going in that direction.

So, please don't follow in their footsteps.
I do want to see Ubuntu succeed.

just my 2 cents

Translation = http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8854/243200303sgc9.jpg bawwww!

duckgoesoink
April 30th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Hahaha, how did you find that picture?

mrgnash
April 30th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Hahaha, how did you find that picture?

I used your friend, Google, and performed an image search for 'bawwww' ;)

duckgoesoink
April 30th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I used your friend, Google, and performed an image search for 'bawwww' ;)

I tried that but didn't see it (but then I only went 5 pages deep). Hehe, not that there's much one could do with that photo other than post it any time a response like that is appropriate. :-)

Xarok
April 30th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Wo, how'd you find that picture of me?

:p

keenboy
April 30th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I have to agree that this banner sends out an odd message, I'm not entirely sure who's attention it's aiming to get to be honest!

I have been an Ubuntu user for a few years and I thought the ease of use, huge community support and easy integrations were automatically marketing it as a product that could compete with other vendors.

I think that the launch of 8.04 LTS is the launch of Ubuntu and a realistic threat to Microsoft and Apple.

I believe Ubuntu/Canonical missed a trick with the Asus eee PC. In my opinion the typical home desktop user needs to have Linux given to them on a plate in the same way Windows has been given to them on a plate. Give them them Linux on a stylish and low cost laptop that just works.........genius!! If every Asus eee PC sold booted with an Ubuntu logo, that's marketing!

Is the average home user likely to download an Ubuntu ISO and load it onto their PC with no problems at all, I doubt it.

Canonical need to get more exclusivity deals which either gives the consumer choice or tempts them from another angle. i.e a complete product that all they have to do is turn on.

I feel marketing the migration side of things risks over selling and under delivering to an IT newbie!

subzero316
April 30th, 2008, 10:37 AM
May be you shoud start marketing so we`ll know the ethical way of doing.:lolflag:..And we`ll appreciate tat...:)

keenboy
April 30th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I have deployed Ubuntu for Business.

1 x 20 User Ubuntu LTSP Server
I have migrated an organisation from Windows XP to 100% Ubuntu (30 Desktops, 2 Servers)
And about a dozen Small business servers.

As an organisation we have waved the Linux flag for a long time. The only way we could get interest was to create products using Linux that work.

This really reiterates my point.

Xarok
April 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Yes exactly, Ubuntu should be adopted by people for just being great software. And it's free!

Techs and business owners know the benefits of Linux and they will slowly get their businesses to switch over, then this forces employees to get use to it and likely end up loving it.

Ubuntu does not work like other OSs and thus should not be marketed in the same way.

And I totally agree that the banner has no target audience, only tech types are going to be visiting the Ubuntu site and they don't need that banner.

The banner seems directed at n00bs. Who's gonna get newbs to switch to Lixus? Not a banner...
Their friend that's a tech, or if they're forced to at work because that's what the computers at work are running.

Quillz
April 30th, 2008, 08:43 PM
most people i know that try ubuntu, never go back to windows.

i see nothing unethical about spreading facts.
Facts, sure, but saying "you'll never go back" is not a fact. FACT.