PDA

View Full Version : Open office not optimised for ubuntu in hardy?

rajeev1204
April 30th, 2008, 05:03 AM
hi

When starting open office ,i remember in gutsy(or feisty),it mentioned ubuntu on the right of the loading screen.

But in hardy, it says sun microsystems.

So is that some kind of marketing rethink from sun? Or is it not optimised for ubuntu ? :confused:

the yawner
April 30th, 2008, 05:23 AM
The OO splash page? I supposed no one had the time to replace that. But I don't think that would mean anything.

isaacj87
April 30th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I remember installing OO.org 2.4 back on Feisty and it had a different splash. The default one. I think the version that ships with Hardy has a splash more geared towards Ubuntu and not the default one, even though it doesn't mention Ubuntu.

Lem
April 30th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Well the new 'non-optimised' version opens much faster and works better. I'm not complaining either way.

rajeev1204
April 30th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Well the new 'non-optimised' version opens much faster and works better. I'm not complaining either way.

ya thats true . :)

scouser73
May 4th, 2008, 02:25 PM
hi

When starting open office ,i remember in gutsy(or feisty),it mentioned ubuntu on the right of the loading screen.

But in hardy, it says sun microsystems.

So is that some kind of marketing rethink from sun? Or is it not optimised for ubuntu ? :confused:

Which ever way you look at it, it beats Microsoft Office hands down, I have no choice but to use MS Office 2007 at work, I hate everything about it, but with OpenOffice, everything looks like it should.

Sporkman
May 4th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Which ever way you look at it, it beats Microsoft Office hands down, I have no choice but to use MS Office 2007 at work, I hate everything about it, but with OpenOffice, everything looks like it should.

I don't know about that, MS Excel is an outstanding application IMO.

zmjjmz
May 4th, 2008, 05:40 PM
If you give OOo more RAM, this version is ultra-super-duper fast.

cometa2k7
May 4th, 2008, 05:47 PM

I love Office 2007. Its a new interface, bit awkward at first, but ultimately better than before once you are used to it; everything is just there.

Office 2007 has a lot of cool features, and in my opinion, is superior to OpenOffice. I still use OpenOffice on Linux, but I also use Office 2007 when I'm on Windows, I like both, but I just prefer Office 2007.

ugm6hr
May 4th, 2008, 05:52 PM

I've found OO Base is so slow it's unusable.

Even after adjusting the "Memory" setting in Options to raise cache to 200MB.

djdarrin91
May 4th, 2008, 06:28 PM
What kind of computer are you trying OOo on(speed etc)? Just curious. I use it on a HP Omnibook xe3 800 Mhz 256 MB Ram and it was a bit slow on startup but i just set the cache to 200mb and now it opens pretty quick!

SirThom
May 4th, 2008, 06:50 PM

How do you do that?

chrisccoulson
May 4th, 2008, 06:56 PM
The reason that the Openoffice splash has no Ubuntu branding on it is explained in bug 153132 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/153132)

ugm6hr
May 4th, 2008, 07:01 PM
What kind of computer are you trying OOo on(speed etc)? Just curious. I use it on a HP Omnibook xe3 800 Mhz 256 MB Ram and it was a bit slow on startup but i just set the cache to 200mb and now it opens pretty quick!

The rest of OO is fine - just Base that is deadly slow. It opens OK, but whenever entering data in tables or forms, it takes about 3 minutes to fully import all the data into the form (130-ish data points).

My laptop - AMD Turion 2GHz, 1GB RAM.

Importantly, it doesn't compare to MS Access in XP. Which is a shame.