PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble upgrading from Gutsy to Hardy via CD

[mike@theInternet]$
April 30th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Hello fellow Ubuntuians, trouble with a Hardy upgrade. I downloaded the Hardy .iso and burned it to a disk. I know the burn was successful as I am able to boot it as a live CD. My issue is I want to upgrade from Gutsy and when I load the CD in Gutsy, I do not recieve a dialog telling me I can upgrade. The only thing that happens is the file list of the CD comes up. I tried adding the CD to my software sources (third party tab) and tried to do a 'update-manager --dist-upgrade' but no such luck. I tried a sh \cdrom\cdromupgrade but no luck! Am I missing something? If I were to load into the Hardy live and do an install from there would it upgrade and/or pass my profile settings and files from my Gutsy? Thanks for any help...I guess there are caveats with free software!
:guitar:

Clancy_s
April 30th, 2008, 04:39 AM
If it works as a live CD you have the "main" CD. According to the update page the automatic upgrade from a CD needs the alternate CD.

You can possibly do a manual upgrade from the live CD but that's beyond me.

[mike@theInternet]$
April 30th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Hm, that seems...well...unintuitive! I'll give that a shot, thanks for the reply!

linuxd00
April 30th, 2008, 01:01 PM
you definitely need the alternate CD to upgrade (if you look closely the download page also tells you so... but i think not clearly enough)

you can also upgrade directly from the iso (without burning)...

look into here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=768042