PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu hates me

fbaerkir
April 30th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I've tried everything I can think of to install Ubuntu, and nothing works. I tried using dmraid to get it to share my RAID with Vista, with no luck. I tried adding a separate HD, but installing on that disabled my Windows MBR. I tried manually editing Grub, with no luck. I tried telling Grub not to alter other drives, but it stilled altered my Windows mbr. I also tried putting Grub on a floppy; that didn't work, either. Nor did editing Grub on that floppy.
Finally, I tried just using Wubi. Of course, no dice.
Using Wubi, I'm trying to put the files on a separate partition that's not part of my RAID. It looks like it installs OK, but when I select Ubuntu to boot, it fails.
I get the following message:
file:\ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr
Selected entry could not be located because the application is missing or corrupt
I've looked around on the forums and see no solutions to this.
Does anyone know of any way, using RAID5, a separate HD, or Wubi, that I can get Ubuntu up and running?

eldragon
April 30th, 2008, 03:49 AM
what i did when i was learning is:
i removed my windows HDD, installed ubuntu on my extra hdd, and then chose which to boot pressing f8 (motherboard POST) and picking boot device through bios. this might not be doable on all haradware.

PS. im still learning :D

fbaerkir
April 30th, 2008, 04:31 AM
I was hoping to do something like that. But my BIOS doesn't recognize the Ubuntu HD, apparently because part of Grub goes to the other HDs. I'm leery of actually unplugging the Windows drives because it's a RAID, and I don't want to break it.

acelin
April 30th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Dont worry it hates you too :D jkjk

thomasyo
April 30th, 2008, 04:43 AM
In reference to the removing of hard drives, what is the master/slave set up of the individual drives?

I run a 40 gig as a slave to my 120 gig master but would love to use the 40 gig for ubuntu and i am having alot of trouble installing 7.1.

thomasyo
April 30th, 2008, 05:21 AM
In reference to the removing of hard drives, what is the master/slave set up of the individual drives?

I run a 40 gig as a slave to my 120 gig master but would love to use the 40 gig for ubuntu and i am having alot of trouble installing 7.1.

i run XP from my 120 and am looking to dual boot

fbaerkir
April 30th, 2008, 01:07 PM
The RAID is composed of four SATA drives, so there's no master/slave option. The separate drive I'm trying to get Ubuntu onto is an IDE, but the only one. I have the jumpers set to master.