PDA

View Full Version : Looking for app to manage my small business

b3y0nd
April 30th, 2008, 01:45 AM
I am a computer tech and web developer. I have finally* switch to Ubuntu permanently and would like to find an application to manage clients, work orders, etc. Anyone know of a program that would do this on Ubuntu?

I've looked in add/remove and synaptic....nothing promising.

Mateo
April 30th, 2008, 01:59 AM
not that i'm aware of, but there are many web-based services that will give you just that. i'd go in that direction if I were you. even some that will do invoicing and such.

madjr
April 30th, 2008, 02:15 AM
homebank?
gnucash?
the kde one (forgot it's name..)

but as Mateo said.

web based is better, there must be some scripts or free services that do that.

Since u r a web developer u should not have any problem installing scripts n stuff

b3y0nd
April 30th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Looks like I will use Mysql and a couple of the database apps available for Ubuntu. I am still green with linux, but so far so good in getting that setup. I'd rather find something I wont have to put the hours into developing.

Not always a easy way, I guess :(

apostate
April 30th, 2008, 05:47 AM
I am a computer tech and web developer. I have finally* switch to Ubuntu permanently and would like to find an application to manage clients, work orders, etc. Anyone know of a program that would do this on Ubuntu?

I've looked in add/remove and synaptic....nothing promising.

Try SugarCRM.

b3y0nd
April 30th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Found CiteCRM. Looks good, about perfect really. MUCH easier and faster than creating my own. I didn't check out sugarCRM though, you using it?

Tux Aubrey
April 30th, 2008, 09:04 AM
No specific suggestions from me, except to check out http://www.sme-in-a-box.org/

It is a follow-up to a "FOSS for business" project the UN ran in Asia a couple of years ago. The site has recently been relaunched by someone who did some work for them packaging Ubuntu 6.06 with a range of business apps. The site updates and reviews stuff of specific interest to small and medium businesses. I came across it while researching a possible article on FOSS for the not-for-profit sector.

Both web based and desktop CRM packages are covered, along with a wide range of other packages.