PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I accdently erased anything that has to do with trash handling.... Please help.

Truckerpunk
April 30th, 2008, 12:59 AM
My newly updated Ubuntu-distribution wouldn't allow me to move anything to trash, so I looked around and came to try this command in the terminal:

rm -r ~/.trash

This was a big mistake. Before this command I still had the icons in the places-tab and on the panel, but now there isn't any sight of anything that has to do with the trash anymore.
If I try to delete anything it seems to get deleted... The icon disappears. But I don't know if it just erases it completely or where it goes.

In my home-folder there isn't any .trash-folder anymore (if it was ever there), but trying to create one doesn't seem to solve my problem.

Any help is highly appreciated.

bellwells
April 30th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Try right clicking on the very top bar and selecting "Add to Panel" This should open up a window from which you can select to put Trash back in your toolbar.

There are other interesting things there as well.

Ron

Truckerpunk
April 30th, 2008, 03:58 PM
tried that.. But it doesn't work. I somehow got it fixed. I think this is how, but I'm not sure... I recreated the hidden .trash-folder in the home dir, and the added the trash can to the desktop(but right clicking the applications-tab in the panel, open nautilus, and trash). And then after restart if all worked fine again. Thanks for the reply anyway.