PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 Live CD won't work!

Redrazor39
April 30th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I made a Live CD for 8.04 to test it out on my laptop before I decide to take the plunge to upgrade (to make sure there were no major hardware problems), but I put the CD in my computer, restart, and GRUB loads normally like there's no CD in it at all.

How can I get this live CD to work with GRUB?

kk0sse54
April 30th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Did you change your BIOS settings so that it boots from your CD drive before looking to boot from your hard drive?Another thing you can try if it still isn't working is to use the alternative install which you can download from the ubuntu website.

Redrazor39
April 30th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I don't even know what a BIOS is let alone edit it

I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 in a dual boot with Vista so when I start up my computer, it says "VAIO" for a second and then it goes straight into GRUB.

Help?

I wanted to make sure Hardy works by testing it with a Live CD before I go with a full upgrade.

zvacet
April 30th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Do it same way like you did it when you installed Gutsy.Set in BIOS to boot from CD.To go to the BIOS when your comp start press F12,DEL,or some other button(it depends of comp).

juje
April 30th, 2008, 12:57 PM
ok, i have a question about the live cd...im using happily using gusty and try to load the liveCD but fail to do it...i check the cd inegrity with md5 checksum and it's ok...i also try to load the gparted live cd and that one load quite good....any clue why only the hardy live cd not working? tahnks!

Partyboi2
April 30th, 2008, 01:25 PM
ok, i have a question about the live cd...im using happily using gusty and try to load the liveCD but fail to do it...i check the cd inegrity with md5 checksum and it's ok...i also try to load the gparted live cd and that one load quite good....any clue why only the hardy live cd not working? tahnks!
Did you burn the iso as a iso not as a data file at x4 or less?

El King
April 30th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I don't even know what a BIOS is let alone edit it

I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 in a dual boot with Vista so when I start up my computer, it says "VAIO" for a second and then it goes straight into GRUB.

Help?

I wanted to make sure Hardy works by testing it with a Live CD before I go with a full upgrade.

when the VAIO logo is displayed press DEL or F2 or F3 i duno exactly which will one will work, a Blue screen will open, then choose the first boot device to be CD-ROM and second boot device to be HDD
then reboot with the live cd in tray

juje
April 30th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Did you burn the iso as a iso not as a data file at x4 or less?

mmm...i burned it as a iso at the lower speed possible...i guess it's 4x...should i've done it as a data file?

dsiembab
April 30th, 2008, 03:35 PM
somethings burnt:lolflag: iso

El King
April 30th, 2008, 03:39 PM
mmm...i burned it as a iso at the lower speed possible...i guess it's 4x...should i've done it as a data file?

wat program u used in burning ?! and no u just burn it as iso not data cd

Partyboi2
April 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM
The way you have done it is correct :)

juje
April 30th, 2008, 04:20 PM
wat program u used in burning ?! and no u just burn it as iso not data cd

i used brasero...and worked fine for me...i guess until now...i'll give a chance to k3b and burn another cd..just to be sure everything's fine...

dsiembab
April 30th, 2008, 04:39 PM
when you burn your the iso to cd check the box to verify data in k3b.

mph66
April 30th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I'm having the same problem. I'm burning the iso at 10x (lowest speed available to me) using ISO Burn. Every cd of Hardy that I've burned locks up once you get to the main menu- "Error Reading Boot CD"- is the pop up message I'm getting.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've had no problems burning 7.10 and below LiveCDs on the same machine, same sw.

-Marc

El King
April 30th, 2008, 05:24 PM
maybe problems when downloading the iso ?!
i wud suggest re-download it maybe from another mirror

mph66
April 30th, 2008, 05:35 PM
iso verifies.

juje
April 30th, 2008, 05:49 PM
maybe problems when downloading the iso ?!
i wud suggest re-download it maybe from another mirror

ok, it seems that theres no answer...thanks anyway...i'll keep on looking...

Partyboi2
May 1st, 2008, 03:52 AM
I'm having the same problem. I'm burning the iso at 10x (lowest speed available to me) using ISO Burn. Every cd of Hardy that I've burned locks up once you get to the main menu- "Error Reading Boot CD"- is the pop up message I'm getting.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've had no problems burning 7.10 and below LiveCDs on the same machine, same sw.

-Marc
try using another burn program like imgburn (http://www.imgburn.com/) which will allow you to burn alot lower then x10. Another thing you could try is update the firmware for your CD-RW/CD-ROM if you are able to.

juje
May 3rd, 2008, 12:00 AM
ok, thanks everyone..i gave another shot to brasero and burn one new livecd (from other source) and it seems to work fine...