PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing new monitor

cybergalvez
April 29th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Hi all,
I need to upgrade my monitor. I will be upgrading my old 20in monitor for a new 24in widescreen, my question is what do I need to do to keep X happy? I'm assuming that since all the refresh rates and resolution's will be different then my current monitor, X is going to complain and most likely won't start, so what command should I use to fix my config file

Thanks in advance for the help
Jose

confused57
April 30th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Hi all,
I need to upgrade my monitor. I will be upgrading my old 20in monitor for a new 24in widescreen, my question is what do I need to do to keep X happy? I'm assuming that since all the refresh rates and resolution's will be different then my current monitor, X is going to complain and most likely won't start, so what command should I use to fix my config file

Thanks in advance for the help
Jose
If you're using Hardy, you may not need to do anything. I switched from a 19" CRT to a 19" LCD, Hardy automatically updated xorg with no manual configuration needed.

Any other Ubuntu versions, you'll need to:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
I had to run this command for Dapper & Gutsy when I switched monitors. If you run this from recovery mode, you won't need to use sudo.

cybergalvez
April 30th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Thanks, thats the command I was looking for
Joes