PDA

View Full Version : Might WE actually get some good drivers designed by the company themselves

Lostincyberspace
April 29th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I just foud this on slashdot apparently dell lenovo and I think hp are recommending hardware manufacturer use open source for their hardware.

Here is the article
.http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/press/2008/04/24/linux-foundation-reports-highlights-from-annual-collaboration-summit/

SuperSon!c
April 29th, 2008, 11:37 PM
oh, drivers, lol

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I was expect corporations to be fiddling with nature.

smoker
April 30th, 2008, 12:22 AM
hmm, nature designs better rivers than companies, lol,

Kingsley
April 30th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I was thinking iRiver mp3 players lol.

Lostincyberspace
April 30th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Laroza could you change the title for me. I didn't get that one when I previewed it.

I was even confused when I saw the title, then I saw my name and got even more confused until I got in to the thread and realized it was a typo.

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Laroza could you change the title for me. I didn't get that one when I previewed it.

I was even confused when I saw the title, then I saw my name and got even more confused until I got in to the thread and realized it was a typo.

Ok. I was going to do it, but I don't like editing unless I have to (profanity/bad links) or I am asked to.

madjr
April 30th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Ok. I was going to do it, but I don't like editing unless I have to (profanity/bad links) or I am asked to.

yea he should had included some spam in the tittle:

Might WE actually get some good ******** designed by the company themselves

Lostincyberspace
April 30th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks I was starting to get embarrassed. it really changed the meaning of the thread.

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks I was starting to get embarrassed. it really changed the meaning of the thread.

Now we will be embarrassed. Everyone who sees it is going to wonder what we are talking about.

Lostincyberspace
April 30th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Oh they would just think we were talking about rivers or something. and leave the forums and never come back nothing big.

zmjjmz
April 30th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Change rivers to [d]rivers ?
EDIT: I need to type faster.

smoker
April 30th, 2008, 12:50 AM
ah, drivers! i hope so, more and more companies seem to be taking an interest in open source, if not spending some development time on it.

Lostincyberspace
April 30th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I read some where that by 2010 it might standard place for company's to use open source soft ware.

Riffer
April 30th, 2008, 01:14 AM
I hope so. In many ways 2007 could looked as a big year for Linux. With so many manufacturers using linux for their small mobile devices (HP, Dell, ASUS etc.) as well as for cheaper laptops and desktops, that they may be seeing a benefit for supporting Linux. I don't think though that any improvement will be overnight but in the long run.

I wonder if this is a sign that manufacturers support for MS is finally slipping.

zmjjmz
April 30th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Their support for MS has been loosened considerably with the failure called Vista, so it all hinges on Windows 7.
If it's good, I assume OEMs will quietly slip out of the open source area, and if it sucks, I expect to see improvement in that area with major OEMs.

DoctorMO
April 30th, 2008, 01:21 AM
the interesting thing is weather these companies know what their getting into. The linux kernel is not known for accepting any old trashy driver that someone writes even if it comes from the hardware company and even if it works.

I've seen it a number of times on the mailing lists where a company programmer will be criticized because of their bad code and they will be told what needs fixing and to come back when it's done.

This is mainly because the closed source programming world, people don't care about their code and I've seen such bad code compared to the open source world.

madjr
April 30th, 2008, 02:23 AM
the interesting thing is weather these companies know what their getting into. The linux kernel is not known for accepting any old trashy driver that someone writes even if it comes from the hardware company and even if it works.

I've seen it a number of times on the mailing lists where a company programmer will be criticized because of their bad code and they will be told what needs fixing and to come back when it's done.

This is mainly because the closed source programming world, people don't care about their code and I've seen such bad code compared to the open source world.

i care more for it to WORK rather than if it's code looks good or bad..

99% of {d}rivers in windows work. I could care less of it's code.

Nvidia's drivers are clearly working and there not open.

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 02:25 AM
i care more for it to WORK rather than if it's code looks good or bad..

99% of {d}rivers in windows work. I could care less of it's code.

Yes, if it is closed source, and isn't going to change, it doesn't matter. However, in Open Source, it does matter. That is how things improve.

Linus's kernel took off not because it was the greatest things, but because it was neatly written and the comments were in English (I have read the original kernel, very well done, if limited in function)

Open Source means working with people. If one is going to write something, write it so others can read it.

bobbybobington
April 30th, 2008, 03:38 AM
\o/