PDA

View Full Version : The one good feature of Internet Explorer

Mateo
April 29th, 2008, 11:30 PM
The browser that can-do-no-right does do one thing right. When you come across a table you can right-click and select "Export to Excel", and an Excel spreadsheet will load with the table. It's fantastic. If they had a similar feature/extension for CSV in Firefox or Epiphany, that would be killer. Get on it, Mozilla and Gnome.

jken146
April 29th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Copy & paste works with OpenOffice. The table gets formatted in Writer as a table. I haven't tried it in Calc though.

Posterus
April 30th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Copy & paste works with OpenOffice. The table gets formatted in Writer as a table. I haven't tried it in Calc though.

rofl as i was reading his post i was thinking "copy and paste" haha

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 12:01 AM
The browser that can-do-no-right does do one thing right. When you come across a table you can right-click and select "Export to Excel", and an Excel spreadsheet will load with the table. It's fantastic. If they had a similar feature/extension for CSV in Firefox or Epiphany, that would be killer. Get on it, Mozilla and Gnome.

MS provides IE and Excel, of course that want to promote their own apps. Does IE export to CSV? Does it export to Calc? Gnuemeric?

Opera 9.50b2. Highlighting table, and right clicking gives option to copy to note (which is handy). Highlighting the table, and middle clicking in Calc gives option to import.

It works fine.
From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_counties_of_the_united_states

http://www.box.net/shared/pfhste4o40

smoker
April 30th, 2008, 12:30 AM
.. When you come across a table you can right-click and select "Export to Excel", and an Excel spreadsheet will load with the table...

doesn't excel run macros? this sounds like an easy way to infect a windows computer!

Mateo
April 30th, 2008, 02:02 AM
MS provides IE and Excel, of course that want to promote their own apps. Does IE export to CSV? Does it export to Calc? Gnuemeric?

The format is irrelevant. It can easily be converted. The fact that it has such a feature to export to a spreadsheet is nice. Firefox doesn't have this ability.

Copy and paste is, of course, what I do. But it doesn't work nearly as well IMO. Formatting screws up and you get URLs that are followed (unwanted by me).

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 02:06 AM
The format is irrelevant. It can easily be converted. The fact that it has such a feature to export to a spreadsheet is nice. Firefox doesn't have this ability.

Copy and paste is, of course, what I do. But it doesn't work nearly as well IMO. Formatting screws up and you get URLs that are followed (unwanted by me).

Well, IE and Excel are MS. They go very well together. The free alternatives don't try to force you do use a single app.

Epiphany, the GNOME browser, could open in Gnumeric, as they are both GNOME apps I guess. Opera allows you to choose what app to open it in.

swoll1980
April 30th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Compatibility is the best feature of IE, and the only reason I still have Windows xp installed on my Computer

tempest
April 30th, 2008, 02:09 AM
A firefox plugin could probably do this without too much trouble. Just need to export it to csv. I have not done a plugin search for this, so I'm not sure if one is available or not.

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 02:11 AM
A firefox plugin could probably do this without too much trouble. Just need to export it to csv. I have not done a plugin search for this, so I'm not sure if one is available or not.

It would be easy to write a script to do it, I could to it, but I never wrote a Firefox plugin so I don't don't know if it would work that way.

klange
April 30th, 2008, 02:14 AM
One could write a javascript function to do it... I'll get right on that after I look at some things in a C-F plugin for future reference.

klange
April 30th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Not very polished, but slap this into the address bar and it'll print a CSV for the first table (you can change the index in the function to get another table):

function exportCSV(theTable) {
var trs = theTable.getElementsByTagName('tr');
var csv = '';
var i, j, tds;
for (i = 0; i < trs['length']; i++) {
tds = trs[i].getElementsByTagName('td');
for (j = 0; j < tds['length']; j++) {
csv = csv + tds[j].innerHTML + ',';
}
csv = csv.substring(0,csv.length-1) + '\n';
}
return csv;
}
document.write(exportCSV(document.getElementsByTag Name('body')[0].getElementsByTagName('table')[0]));