PDA

View Full Version : random computer related question

900donuts
April 29th, 2008, 10:50 PM
i just want to skip a question stone on the answer pool of the internet (golden poetic line right here :lolflag:)

any ways any one in to retrocomputing probably has found that it is hard to find 5 1/4" floppies any more (last i heard no one made them)

so what i was thinking is how hard is it to make a 5 1/4" floppy by hand (or by using a home based cnc mill or laser cutter)

from what i was able to find a 5 1/4" floppy is made out of 3 basic parts

1.the plastic enclosure (probably can be made with plastic card stock from the stationary store and a sturdy pair of scissors)

2.the paper dust dust absorbing material (i guess cheap thin paper towels could work but i'm not sure)

3. this is the hard one. the smooth plastic disk with a layer of iron oxide glued to it (the page i found this info on was actually talking about magnetic tape but i think disks and tape is made out of the same stuff)

so what do you guys think can it be done?

Dr Small
April 29th, 2008, 11:44 PM
A great way to ruin that antique floppy drive :|

smoker
April 30th, 2008, 01:19 AM
why do you need one? or is it a special project for something!

have you tried ebay, they sell just about anything there?

900donuts
April 30th, 2008, 02:24 AM
A great way to ruin that antique floppy drive
those big drives are probably a bigger threat to floppy than the floppy is to it

why do you need one? or is it a special project for something!

have you tried ebay, they sell just about anything there?
no it is not a special project just some thing i'm curious about and its possible that even ebay will run out some day