PDA

View Full Version : This is good, Dell chat transcript...

Six_Digits
April 29th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Agent (Sukumar_117977): "Let me pull up your account information. In the meantime may I have your telephone number, along with the area code to update our records?"
Daniel: "40*-*6*-**45"
Daniel: "If I install Ubuntu, do you guys offer support for that? I know you sell the pc's with it installed, but if my pc was shipped with Windows you won't support Linux for me right?"
Agent (Sukumar_117977): "Correct we are trained on dual operating system support."
Daniel: "Awesome!"
Daniel: "So I could install the latest ubuntu distrubution and get rid of windows, and you'll help with my problems!?"
Agent (Sukumar_117977): "Could you please tell me about the ubuntu distribution?"
Daniel: "8.04 LTS"
Agent (Sukumar_117977): "I am sorry to say we are not trained on Linux support."
Daniel lyga: "Not at all?"
Agent (Sukumar_117977): "I am Sorry"
Daniel lyga: "Oh... Ok, what about those who buy a computer with Ubuntu pre-installed? do they at least get support?"
Agent (Sukumar_117977): "Normal support will be there."
Daniel lyga: "Ok..."
Agent (Sukumar_117977): "Ubuntu support will be there for sure."
Daniel lyga: "But only if you buy the computer with it installed already, correct?"
Agent (Sukumar_117977): "Yes you are correct Daniel/"

Bold = WHAT?!?!

I should have known...

zmjjmz
April 30th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Actually Dell has a good reason for not supporting it unless it came pre-installed.
It's the hardware.
For example, the XPS One has an ATi card (and we all know how well that works) and they probably won't support it (because it could be the problem).
Whereas the XPS M1330 has an nVidia card which works fine with restricted drivers, and so they sell it pre-installed. Because they know the hardware works, they can support it fully.

It's true though that the support personel contradicted himself quite a few times.

Six_Digits
April 30th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Actually Dell has a good reason for not supporting it unless it came pre-installed.
It's the hardware.
For example, the XPS One has an ATi card (and we all know how well that works) and they probably won't support it (because it could be the problem).
Whereas the XPS M1330 has an nVidia card which works fine with restricted drivers, and so they sell it pre-installed. Because they know the hardware works, they can support it fully.

It's true though that the support personel contradicted himself quite a few times.

Yes, I understand the reasons for the support limits - It was a long shot. The guy/girl had my hopes up, "Correct we are trained on dual operating system support." Then told me they don't support Linux at all. After that he resumed to tell me Dell DOES have support for pre-built Ubuntu systems.

As you said, it's the contradictions that really cracked me up.

forrestcupp
April 30th, 2008, 05:26 PM
The last I heard, the only support they offered for their Ubuntu systems was going to be in forums.

Six_Digits
April 30th, 2008, 05:45 PM
That would kinda suck... What if it was a network/internet issue and you couldn't get to the forums? They would have to offer support over the phone :-k

notwen
April 30th, 2008, 05:58 PM
When purchasing a N-Series model you are offered support packages from Canonical. Dell only offers hardware support w/ Linux, if you need software support, you'd be buying it from Canonical(through Dell). Check here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=762770) for more info on the Dell models that come pre-installed w/ Ubuntu.

Dell has no obligation to support Ubuntu on all of their makes/models. I personally was very excited to partake in their pioneering the market for pre-installed Linux by a major manufacturer.

Were you personally interested in getting one of these machines or just investigating to see if Dell would give you support for installing a third-party OS on a machine purchased from Dell? Despite numerous rants regarding Dell and there lack of Ubuntu support, I believe they took a pretty big risk in being the first of the major manufacturers to offer pre-installed Linux machines.

I purchased my Inspiron 1420n right after they began offering them and have zero complaints. If you're in the market for a pre-installed Ubuntu system, please consider Dell. Should you need software support w/ this new system, be sure to purchase it from Canonical through Dell. The more users support pre-installed Linux from the bigger companies, the more likely it will become a standard option for your future machines. =]