PDA

View Full Version : Now I want to go to the next step

GoCool
April 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Thank you every one for being with me and helping me with all my silly questions and doubts...now I want to go to the next step...that is programming.

I am a VB/VC++ developer, but naturally with very little experience. I want to start off with a programming language in Linux which I'll enjoy and in future be of some use to this great community.

My question is where to start? Any good links?

free2useemail
April 29th, 2008, 09:43 PM
If you want to get started programming, you need to learn visual basics. Get the hang of thinking logical. Visual basics is a programming language, and is very important to learn. after you understand that, which could take 1 year or so, pick another language, like flux or flash, or if your ready, Java. Linux programs uses all these different languages and more. But seriously, learn visual basics!

munkyeetr
April 29th, 2008, 09:47 PM
If you want to get started programming, you need to learn visual basics. Get the hang of thinking logical. Visual basics is a programming language, and is very important to learn. after you understand that, which could take 1 year or so, pick another language, like flux or flash, or if your ready, Java. Linux programs uses all these different languages and more. But seriously, learn visual basics!

um, visual basic(s) is for the windows platform.

try python

eeeandrew
April 29th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Hang on, VB!? thats for windows. My advice is to download eclipse from the repositories. Then get the JAVA libraries and start there. You can then get libraries for C++ or Python or any other language from the long list to work with.

Hope that helps,
Andrew

dje
April 29th, 2008, 09:50 PM
+1 for python, it's very powerful

dje

Cannaregio
April 29th, 2008, 09:51 PM
um, visual basic(s) is for the windows platform.

try python

Second that.
Python is a very clever choice nowadays, both for your immediate use and for your future development.
Incredible cosmic power and quick working prototipes. What more?

superbungalow
April 29th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I'm not a programmer, but I now someone who has a business working with linux, and he uses java on the eclipse platform ( like the previous person said), so yes go with that. And some more advice, don't listen to anyone who calls visual basic; "visual basics". ;)

asgard_command
April 29th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Visual Basic?

I'm trying to learn Python heard nothing but good things about it, supposed to be a great language to learn with.

guitarthrasher
April 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Visual Basic is definitely for windows.

+1 for Python. I'm learning it right now, actually. :P

LaRoza
April 29th, 2008, 10:15 PM
See my wiki and the sticky.

Thread moved.

pmasiar
April 30th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Python is the best fit for you, see wiki in my sig (linked from LaRoza), it has also training tasks

GoCool
April 30th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Thank you friends. I'll start off with Python as suggested by many.
See you all in the programming section soon. (Will be seen here too, for still I'll have those silly doubts like why double clicking on certain icon doesnt pop up anything)

Cannaregio
May 1st, 2008, 10:05 AM
And as soon as you are ready:

http://www.pythonchallenge.com/

"The first programming riddle on the net"

hehe