PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New To Ubuntu - New Install

rktompsett
April 29th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Not having heard of Ubuntu until yesterday, and after reading all the positives I decided to jump in and install Ubuntu, as I do NOT care for Microsoft.

Doing an install as a dual boot with WinXP. I have 2 HD's so partitioning is not really an issue. I down loaded and burned the new Ubuntu 8.04. My install is on the 2nd HD (E) and the dual boot gives me a choice of XP or Ubuntu. The problem I have is when Ubuntu is booted, The Logo comes up with a little graphic zipping back a forth under "Ubuntu", then the screen goes black then Alpha-Numeric text starts building and scrolling down the screen. This goes on for better then an hour until stops. The cursor is flashing and all I can do is type "Help" which shows the list of command words.

This happens both for the "Demo-Install", and the Install along side Windows" So am I not doing something correctly or did I download a bad file? How do I erase my current installation? The trial had an erase feature, but the full install does not

ad_267
April 29th, 2008, 10:21 PM
You can just reinstall over the hard drive and it will be reformatted. To check that your CD doesn't have any errors you should first check the md5 sum of the iso file you downloaded before burning it to a CD. There are programs available for windows that can do this. There should also be an option to check your CD for errors when you boot from it.

rktompsett
June 3rd, 2008, 05:01 PM
Ok, now that I have burned a half a pack of CD's from several mirror sites with no a vale, I went out and purchased the "Ubuntu Linux for Dummies", by Paul G. Sery. His book includes a version 6.10 of Ubuntu. Well I finally got a good install, and as I proceeded to update the 6.10 I was told, the "Repository Index" is out of date, I was also denied the installation of Mozilla's Thunderbird email, (Firefox was included). It appears I must update the a more current version in order to get a working platform. As I type this thorough that ungodly XP Windows thing, I'm burning yet another CD which I'm sure will follow it's brevrens to the trash can. So what do I do in meantime?I have to wait 6 weeks for my Ubuntu disk to come in the snail mail. Providing the mailman does not mis-deliver to the wrong address. But that's another story.