PDA

View Full Version : Linux C++ Compiler

dwessell
October 17th, 2005, 02:32 AM
Hey all..

I'm moving completely to Ubuntu, I've been so impressed with it.. But I'm short a C++ compilier now.

I've been using Codewarrior for Windows.. Can anyone suggest a good compilier for Linux?

Thanks
David

hod139
October 17th, 2005, 02:39 AM
If you install the meta-package build-essential

sudo apt-get install build-essential
that will get you access to the gnu compiler g++. It sounds like you are also asking about IDEs for linux, and there are many of those. You can start by looking at eclipse (with the cdt plugin for c++) and kdevelop.

dwessell
October 17th, 2005, 02:43 AM
Hey hod139, thanks for the response.. I'm looking for something along the lines of Codewarrior, in that it's not over excessive in trying to be helpful, but does have some nice features.. I'll check out the ones that you mentioned..

Thanks a ton..

dw

hod139
October 17th, 2005, 02:52 AM
There is codewarrior for linux. though it isn't free. For free solutions, the two I mentioned earlier are very good. Make sure you don't confuse compilers (g++) with development kits (codewarrior) though.

David Marrs
October 17th, 2005, 12:56 PM
check out the favourite ide thread as well. Of what's been suggested, I've found Anjuta to be looking rather good. I'd also recommend installing Glade for GUI building.

remin8
October 17th, 2005, 02:53 PM
In order to get a "full" working Anjuta system, I would install build-essiential and anjuta and all the recommended packages as well. If you are using Synaptic, you can go to the prefrences and set to treat recommended as deps, this will make the install easy for you. On a side note, I have been using Anjuta for a short while now, and although it is a little different than any other IDE I have used the interface is nice and simple and alows you to really focus on your code. Hope this helps.