PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Programming SKill

zoke
April 29th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I've learned some basic java (some oo, methods, some data structures, control structures, etc ) and I would like to improve on this knowledge and maintain my programming skill. I stopped coding a while back and I would like to stop this decline. What should I do to maintain my skill ?

amingv
April 29th, 2008, 07:14 PM
The most logical answer would be program :).
Additionally, you can subscribe yourself to a mailing list/forum to stay up-to-date.

LaRoza
April 29th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I've learned some basic java (some oo, methods, some data structures, control structures, etc ) and I would like to improve on this knowledge and maintain my programming skill. I stopped coding a while back and I would like to stop this decline. What should I do to maintain my skill ?

Go to my wiki and beyond!

Shin_Gouki2501
April 29th, 2008, 08:28 PM
try to maintain that java mp3-player in my signature :D

nvteighen
April 29th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I also was some years without coding... you'll going to surprise yourself after some days how much you remember no matter how long it passed. Not talking about the language itself, but your programming skill.

It's like having learned to ride bikes: you'll never forget it.

Lster
April 29th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Try Project Euler...

pmasiar
April 29th, 2008, 09:34 PM
The only way to learn programming is to do programming - solve problems.

Consider learning more agile language (where you can accomplish more with less effort) like Python. Programming will be more fun, so more likely you will stick with it. Solve training problems (like euler suggested above - see wiki in my sig for more), when ready join one of many FOSS projects.

TreeFinger
April 29th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Program!

zoke
April 29th, 2008, 11:22 PM
The only way to learn programming is to do programming - solve problems.

Consider learning more agile language (where you can accomplish more with less effort) like Python. Programming will be more fun, so more likely you will stick with it. Solve training problems (like euler suggested above - see wiki in my sig for more), when ready join one of many FOSS projects.

I've been thinking about learning python for some times now and I might just start now. You are very right that I need to solve problems. When I was learning I had a friend who gave me problems to do, however I do not have a good source of problems to solve now. I rather not do something math based like Project Euler.

Also are there any notable software written in Java and Python which I can look at to improve my ability of reading code and of course hacking it ?

samjh
April 30th, 2008, 12:20 AM

Do the programming challenges on this forum. :)

pmasiar
April 30th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I do not have a good source of problems to solve now.

yes you do - see my wiki :-)

Also are there any notable software written in Java and Python which I can look at to improve my ability of reading code and of course hacking it ?

You don't want notable - you want simple, and you want something important for you personally, so the weeks you will spend learning it will be not wasted.

Smygis
April 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I've been thinking about learning python for some times now and I might just start now. You are very right that I need to solve problems. When I was learning I had a friend who gave me problems to do, however I do not have a good source of problems to solve now. I rather not do something math based like Project Euler.

http://www.pythonchallenge.com
Im at challange 9. Its hard, frustrating and fun. Pythonchallange is not only programming but also logic and puzzlesolving. You realy need to figure out what youre suposed to do at times.

zoke
April 30th, 2008, 10:15 PM
http://www.pythonchallenge.com
Im at challange 9. Its hard, frustrating and fun. Pythonchallange is not only programming but also logic and puzzlesolving. You realy need to figure out what youre suposed to do at times.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will fire up Vim and have a crack at it.

RIchard James13
May 1st, 2008, 10:08 AM
Yes the only real problem with python challenge is sometimes the image/word puzzles are too obscure. To me the words peak hill will never pronounce as that other word. Luckily there are hints available if you get stuck. Also nice is the ability to see how other people solved the problem, not just in python either.