PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to tell Evolution not to beep on incoming messages

patis
April 29th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Hello,

I find it annoying; when running evolution my PC beeps each time I get a new mail. How can I disable this?

In Evolution, the Mail Preferences|General dialog tab is missing the Mail Notifications section (is this a bug?) where according to the manual I should be able to disable the beep.

I can disable the beep totally in the system (System|Preferences|Sound|System Beep) but that's not what I want to do (I like the beep working for some other things).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

munkyeetr
April 29th, 2008, 07:03 PM
EDIT: I posted before I read the part about the Preferences not working for you.

lucky_frank
April 30th, 2008, 03:24 PM
It's not a "regular" preference, but a Plugin

Do Edit->Plugins, then look in the list for Mail Notification and select in (don't uncheck the box, just select it).
Then click the Configuration tab on the right and uncheck
Play sound when new messages arrive.

Took me a little while to find it.

patis
May 1st, 2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks, that works!

planejason
June 3rd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Thank you very much. I would like to suggest to someone that this should not be this hard to find.:mad:

stormdragon2976
August 9th, 2008, 04:32 AM
It's not a "regular" preference, but a Plugin

Do Edit->Plugins, then look in the list for Mail Notification and select in (don't uncheck the box, just select it).
Then click the Configuration tab on the right and uncheck
Play sound when new messages arrive.

Took me a little while to find it.
Thanks for this, I wanted to change the sound to something a little more exciting than beep.

bdoe
May 31st, 2009, 07:12 PM
Thank you very much. I would like to suggest to someone that this should not be this hard to find.:mad:
Forgive me for necroing such an old thread, but I had just discovered this thread, searching for a way to turn off the annoying system beep every time I get a new e-mail. My main concern: Gnome (and I assume KDE as well) has a system sounds editor that includes, among other things, an e-mail notification sound setting. Why is this not being honored by Evolution?