PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I accidently deleted samba.conf

sheepscrossing
April 29th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I accidently deleted samba.conf from my new 8.04 Ubuntu last night.
I uninstalled and reinstalled Samba but the /etc/samba directory wasn't refreshed. Does anyone know how to get the conf file back without reloading Ubuntu? Thanks!!

patis
April 29th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Have you tried the command "sudo dpkg-reconfigure samba"?

sheepscrossing
April 30th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Thanks, but that didn't work unfortunately - it returned the following error: samba is broken or not fully installed
Using Synaptic to remove and reinstall won't work either. If I try to completely remove Samba common it asks if I want to remove the Ubuntu desktop also.......... The answer to that is NO...

Zorael
April 30th, 2008, 03:48 AM
ubuntu-desktop is a metapackage "bundle" that refers to a whole bunch of packages (Gnome, all the standard programs, Samba; whatever is there when you've just installed). Removing a part of that bundle will "break" ubuntu-desktop, but it's safe to do. You won't hose your system.

I'd try aptitudes reinstall option.

$ sudo aptitude reinstall samba smbfs smbclient

warbread
April 30th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Do a

:-$ sudo touch /etc/samba/samba.conf

... and follow this link (http://www.flatmtn.com/article/setting-samba), then copy and paste the example.

Would that help?

sheepscrossing
May 1st, 2008, 02:26 AM
Thanks Warbread - I think that will do the trick!

sheepscrossing
May 1st, 2008, 02:40 AM
Thanks, Zorael - I think that your post and the one from warbread will get me back on track!

sheepscrossing
May 1st, 2008, 02:55 AM
ubuntu-desktop is a metapackage "bundle" that refers to a whole bunch of packages (Gnome, all the standard programs, Samba; whatever is there when you've just installed). Removing a part of that bundle will "break" ubuntu-desktop, but it's safe to do. You won't hose your system.

I'd try aptitudes reinstall option.

$ sudo aptitude reinstall samba smbfs smbclient

Just to be clear - the file that I accidently deleted was smb.conf, not samba.conf.... Samba wouldn't configure and start the daemons until I changed the file name. Thanks to Warbread and Zorael for their help.