PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] root again

dave103
April 29th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Hi

Following on from my last problem trying to recover sudo rights, what is the best way to deal with the fact that while there is no root user on installing 8.04, all files and folders are installed with owner and group set to root!!

So for example, if (as I tried and screwed up last time) I want to edit my apache config file what is the preferred way of doing it? Should I change ownership of the apache folder (I suspect that would be a bad idea) or can I make myself part of the "root" group. If so, how do I do it safely - last time I tried I lost admin rights for some reason.

What do you advise?

Dave

moonpup
April 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM
No, do not change the ownership of those directories. By default the first user account you create in ubuntu is added to the admin group which is effectively root. Everytime you use sudo to modify a file, start a service etc... you are running as root. I'm a redhat guy, but I believe I am correct and hopefully someone will correct me if i'm wrong :)

dave103
April 29th, 2008, 06:26 PM
No, do not change the ownership of those directories. By default the first user account you create in ubuntu is added to the admin group which is effectively root. Everytime you use sudo to modify a file, start a service etc... you are running as root. I'm a redhat guy, but I believe I am correct and hopefully someone will correct me if i'm wrong :)

No I think you are wrong there - my one and only user (which has admin rights) does not run as root itself. I got permission denied when I tried to do anything like chmod etc. Can I not make myself part of the "root" group? If so how - I'm a bit paranoid to get this wrong again as last time required a whole re-install.

Dave

wirelessmonkey
April 29th, 2008, 07:17 PM
No, moonpup is correct. Rather than using ~$ chmod filename, which will not work, use ~$ sudo chmod filename, which escalates your command to 'root' to chmod the file.

You do not, and probably should not, need to run as the root user account.

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo for more information.

Best of Luck

moonpup
April 29th, 2008, 08:10 PM
wirelessmonkey has just explained it perfectly... so now I don't have to :)