PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble with GRUB bootloader

[mike@theInternet]$
April 29th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Hello fellow Ubuntuians, I have a question. I have a machine which I partitioned for 2 installations of Ubuntu (7.10 and 8.0x) I formatted the 8.0x partition and planned on resizing the partition to expand my 7.10 install. Long story short, apparently my GRUB is still trying to pull from the partition I just formatted. How do I set my 7.10 partition to be the default boot partition thereby pointing it to my /boot/grub directory on my 7.10 partition. Was that confusing? :) Thanks for any help.

Thanks,
Mike

PS I have some bootable CDs such as GParted live that I was going to try and resize and set bootable with tonight.

dstew
April 29th, 2008, 04:11 PM
You need to reinstall grub, because the boot loader is "hard wired" to get its stage2 and menu from a particular partition. If you change your partitions around, the grub boot loader can't find its stage2. The solution is to re-install grub, with the proper root designation.

To reinstall grub, boot a Live CD. On a command line enter sudo grub. That will get you the grub command line, with the grub> prompt. At the grub prompt, enter
find /boot/grub/stage2It should return the name of the partition that contains the stage2 file in grub-speak, maybe (hd0,0). Whatever it returns, use as the argument for the root statement, and setup grub in the MBR of the first disk, like this:
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
quitThen reboot, and it should be OK.

[mike@theInternet]$
April 30th, 2008, 12:15 PM
That worked, many thanks!