PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] FTP and appache question

mam00th
April 29th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Hi, I just have some questions concerning proftpd. I recently (yesterday hehe) installed a LAMP server with openssh on my sisters' old hp. For file transfer purpose, I decided to instal proftpd as well but here the thing.

I wondered, would there be a more efficient way to tansfer file to /var/www then ftping them to /home/user/ and then moving them using ssh?

Also what permission should my files in /var/www have? right now they are at 644 but if I intend to put PHP shouldn't I set it at 755?

Thanks in advance!

barnex
April 29th, 2008, 04:45 PM
For this purpose you could for instance make a symbolic link to your home folder in the www directory:
ln -s /home/user /var/www.

cdtech
April 29th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I run a home LAMP server with a FQDN (somewhere.com) and I configure my site off of my laptop computer befor I submit changes to my server. When the time comes to update my site I use Rsync to sync my laptop with my server.

On a command line from my laptop I use:

rsync -e "ssh -ax" -avz --delete --stats /var/www/mysite/ webadmin@mysite.com:/var/www/mysite

Using the rsync method only updates the changed files.

Then of course I have to copy the database to the server as well:
from my laptop

mysqldump -u user -p database > database.new

Then copy my database to the server:

scp database.new user@mysite.com:/var/www/mysite

Hope this helps ya...

mam00th
April 29th, 2008, 09:18 PM
All right. But for learning purpose, could you explain me what a symbolic does?

mam00th
April 29th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Also what permission should my files in /var/www have?

cdtech
April 29th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Also what permission should my files in /var/www have?

I use 775 so the group has access to change files as well. If your the only owner or group of the /var/www directory then 755 is more secure.

In Linux and Unix, everything is a file. Directories are files, files are files and devices are files. Devices are usually referred to as a node; however, they are still files. All of the files on a system have permissions that allow or prevent others from viewing, modifying or executing. If the file is of type Directory then it restricts different actions than files and device nodes.

From: FilePermissions Ubuntu Documentation (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FilePermissions)

dark_religion
November 13th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Also what permission should my files in /var/www have? right now they are at 644 but if I intend to put PHP shouldn't I set it at 755?

Your script should work. If it doesn't work with 644 then try setting more rights. Less rights directory or fire have more secure it is.)