PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy: Could not launch menu item (evolution)

enoughsaid05
April 29th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Hi all,

I am having a problem with my evolution. I am using Hardy.

I just did a upgrade and it says my upgrade was still not complete. I was a bit intrigued because I thought I have already upgraded everything. So I just went along with it anyway.

It removed some of the files, including evolution and put in a new one called "evolution mail and calender". After the upgrade, I couldn't launch evolution. A window appeared and said," Could not launch menu item, Failed to execute child process "evolution" (No such file or directory)". I went to the Add/ Remove Application to install evolution but it says,

"Cannot install 'evolution'

This application conflicts with other installed software. To install 'evolution' the conflicting software must be removed first.

Switch to the 'synaptic' package manager to resolve this conflict."

How do I resolve the problem?

Kevbert
April 29th, 2008, 01:18 PM
That's very interesting. I did a fresh install of Hardy. I then decided to install QtParted via Add/Remove and got a similar error when I tried to run it. I've raised a bug report on this which can be found here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/qtparted/+bug/223852
As soon as I get a reply I'll let you know.

locovaca
April 29th, 2008, 03:54 PM
This happened to me too. Evolution-Data-Server was updated, but it forced evolution to uninstall and some other libraries. Now E-D-S is at a version that conflicts with Evolution and it won't install. I'm running amd64 version and upgraded from 7.10. I'm going to try to downgrade to the last version I had installed to see if that helps.

Kevbert
April 29th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Hi. I've added a link to this thread in launchpad (where my bug report is).
Hopefully this will be looked at soon.