PDA

View Full Version : What will happen to Ubuntu if?

chrispche
April 29th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Mark Shuttleworth runs out of money or get's bored with the whole thing? Will anyone take over? Is that likely to happen? What's the future of Ubuntu?

I myself have never been so chuffed with an OS since Windows 2000 in my younger years and can never see me using anything else but Ubuntu. It plays all my Windows games, it's compatible with Microsoft Office. I can do anything I want on it that I could on Windows and more. It looks good it's stable.

I would never want anything to happen to Ubuntu.

Incense
April 29th, 2008, 12:48 PM
If Ubuntu went belly up for some reason, Linux will still go on. It was here before Ubuntu, and it will be here long after. Ubuntu is pretty popular though, so I could see the community keeping it alive or SUN trying to purchase it. They seem to like buying open source.

gn2
April 29th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Much as Mr Shuttleworth's contributions have been very valuable, Ubuntu doesn't revolve around him and he doesn't own the distro.

There are distros that do very well on very small budgets.

If Mr Shuttleworth's financial contributions ended tomorrow Ubuntu would carry on, one way or another.

saulgoode
April 29th, 2008, 01:07 PM
www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/foundation (http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/foundation)

daengbo
April 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Canonical seems pretty bullish about making some money soon, so you may not need to worry.

subzero316
April 29th, 2008, 02:03 PM
There are many other good distroz.. i dont think this one will ever end it ..i ll contribute:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

Vadi
April 29th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Linux usability & adoptance on the desktop will definitely take a dent.

I mean, Ubuntu is my first and only one. I tried others, but you get no help, you get told to compile this and that, and you have people who think that Linux is for the technologically inclined only, "idiots" don't belong here.

And I do hope Canonical makes some money, because they're spent a whole lot of it (definitely don't announce all of it either. Recently I read that the ubuntu computers in Russia are backed by canonical's finances), without any good news on revenues yet. Which makes me worry.

madjr
April 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM
monetize Ubuntu forums.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=767098

Foster Grant
April 29th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Mark Shuttleworth runs out of money or get's bored with the whole thing? Will anyone take over? Is that likely to happen? What's the future of Ubuntu?

I myself have never been so chuffed with an OS since Windows 2000 in my younger years and can never see me using anything else but Ubuntu. It plays all my Windows games, it's compatible with Microsoft Office. I can do anything I want on it that I could on Windows and more. It looks good it's stable.

I would never want anything to happen to Ubuntu.

If Shuttleworth runs out of money, then he's done something colossally dumb. Dude made $575 million when he sold Thawte to VeriSign. When he founded the Ubuntu Foundation, he provided an initial investment of $10 million.

He was also the first "patron" of KDE, the highest level of sponsorship available. (Well, I guess somebody has to like KDE. :lol: )

Neither Ubuntu nor Canonical are going anyplace.