PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] undo hardy version upgrade

peterroots
April 29th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Is it possible to undo a version upgrade?
I let the system do a version upgrade from feisty to hardy and wish I hadn't. Can this be reversed with out a full reinstall?

Firefox3 - no googletoolbar, no athens toolbar, sun java6 plugin does not work. see a smail on diazapam move faster as well!
removed and reinstalled firefox2 and got toolbars back but no java any more

Can no longer unmount and then stop removable usb hard drive, just keeps on spinning (sdparam --command=stop /dev/sdb1 used to work fine)

can't get nvidia config utiliy to open or use the system settings

FredB
April 29th, 2008, 12:49 PM
You cannot. But all the symptoms could be cure :

a) reinstall gutsy, you cannot downgrade the whole OS.
b) clean reinstall hardy.

Feel free to choose your answer.

Anyway, it seems you're facing a bug which touch some upgraders, but no others.

Looks like your previous install was kinda "dirty" (lot of install / reinstall).

For you info, there is a new Xorg version, and previous trick won't work anymore.

If you're so disappointed, just my advice : downgrade to gutsy, or try another distro, like Fedora, OpenSuSE, etc...

Have a good day.

peterroots
April 29th, 2008, 02:01 PM
thanks FredB
My plan was to try a fresh install of gutsy or I may take a chance and do a fresh install of hardy and see if that is any better.
either way looks like I'm going to have to start again!

Well looks like I will have to go back to gutsy - downloaded the kubuntu install cd (386) and the md5 sum matches but every time I burn a cd k3b tells me it differs from the original and it won't boot either.

Having now reinstalled Gutsy, and got everything working again I am now able to burn a usable Hardy CD - having tried it out I was disappointed that the screen was almost unreadable on my laptop so I don't think I will be rushing to install it. None of the previous live CDs I have tried have looked anything like this bad, in fact they all gave a nice crisp clean view.