PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] clamAv Help!

devsen
April 29th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I installed clamav but when I try to run a scan I get the following error -

clamscan: error while loading shared libraries: libclamav.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Not sure which config file I need to update?

Thanks for any help - Dev, Suffolk, England

Monicker
April 29th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I installed clamav but when I try to run a scan I get the following error -

clamscan: error while loading shared libraries: libclamav.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Not sure which config file I need to update?

Thanks for any help - Dev, Suffolk, England

Did you install using the Ubuntu package management, or from source? I've never seen that error with clamav when using Synaptic or apt-get, which is what you normally should be using to install software in Ubuntu.

cagey cretin
September 1st, 2008, 11:53 PM
I just updated from 6.06 LTS to 8.04. I wanted to compile clamav-0.93.3, but the compiler in 6.04 was spitting out errors about a bug that clamav didn't like. Couldn't upgrade the compiler so I upgraded the OS. So now I am trying to compile clamav (as opposed to the synaptic), and it compiles fine, then when I try to scan an item it spits out:

"clamscan: error while loading shared libraries: libclamav.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

So I run:

# find / -name /usr/local/lib/libclamav.so.4
/usr/local/lib/libclamav.so.4

Fine. It's there but it isn't. I do a make uninstall and then run:

apt-get install clamav

and it installs. I try to scan the file and I get:

bash: /usr/local/bin/clamscan: No such file or directory

I just installed it, so I know it's *somewhere*. So:

# whereis clamscan
clamscan: /usr/bin/clamscan /usr/share/man/man1/clamscan.1.gz

Huh? Why does it think it's in one place then another? So I then run:

# /usr/bin/clamscan ./file.txt
LibClamAV Warning: ************************************************** *********
LibClamAV Warning: *** This version of the ClamAV engine is outdated. ***
LibClamAV Warning: *** DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq ***
LibClamAV Warning: ************************************************** *********
..file.txt: OK

Weird. Just weird. And kind of irritating.

I want the most up to date version, not so much worried about this machine, but I put files on windows machines and I want to be clean.

Why am I getting errors when I run the version built from source? I dunno. I tried searching the net with that text string and came up with one hit: this thread.

So, I kept diggin.

I use synaptic to remove clamav, clamav-freshclam, and then I delete the /etc/clamav directory.

According to this webpage:

http://volatile-minds.blogspot.com/2008/06/installing-clamav-latest-from-source.html

Some people may get an error that references libclamav.so.4. You should be able to run sudo ldconfig to fix the problem.sudo ldconfig to fix the problem.

So, I do it. Then I go back to the source directory and try again to compile. then I run clamscan again, and it works.

This fixed the library call error for me (I hope it does for you, too). Still though. weird. Really weird...