PDA

View Full Version : My next Linux goal!

angrykeyboarder
October 16th, 2005, 11:03 PM
My next Linux goal is not to have the end result of "./configure" be an indecipherable error message that makes me just give up...

I've typed "./configure" several times over the past week ) or so (on various sources and have yet to get the desired result. ](*,)

*sigh*. :-({|=

PatrickMay16
October 16th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Have you installed the package build-essential?

-Rick-
October 17th, 2005, 12:45 AM
My next Linux goal is not to have the end result of "./configure" be an indecipherable error message that makes me just give up...
You could change the programs build system to something better such as SCons :)

az
October 17th, 2005, 01:17 AM
Read the README that is included in the tarball . It usually details the libs you need to compile the program.

For example, if it complains about not finding X.... you need to install the X developmental packages (xlibs-dev)

Goober
October 17th, 2005, 02:16 AM
My next Linux goal is to see if I can Qemu with Windows XP to go reasonably fast, and to get sound working with it. After that, eventually, I would like get M$ office working, and then some games. If I can get M$ Office working, then I don't need my Windows Partition anymore!!!

xequence
October 17th, 2005, 02:29 AM
My next Linux goal is to see if I can Qemu with Windows XP to go reasonably fast, and to get sound working with it. After that, eventually, I would like get M$ office working, and then some games. If I can get M$ Office working, then I don't need my Windows Partition anymore!!!

Qemu is very slow from my experience. VMware is really good ;)

Goober
October 17th, 2005, 02:55 AM
Qemu is very slow from my experience. VMware is really good ;)

I have heard of an accelerator for it . . . but I have yet to try it.

VMware . . . hrm . . . not in Synpatic, I'll have to do some looking around. Thanks for mentioning that, so you know of a HOWTO for it, or where I can get more info about it?

xequence
October 17th, 2005, 02:59 AM
I have heard of an accelerator for it . . . but I have yet to try it.

VMware . . . hrm . . . not in Synpatic, I'll have to do some looking around. Thanks for mentioning that, so you know of a HOWTO for it, or where I can get more info about it?

It isnt free, but you can download a trial version and there are many serials on the internet. I think I have one saved on my computer somewhere...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vmware
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=65638

Goober
October 17th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the links! I'm going to try the second one when I get some time (haha . . . ), and, if it works, well, then I shall obviously be very happy. Just wondering, would it run Windows inside of Linux? Or as well as?

And does it consume a lot of system resources? I noticed that QEmu, well, it pushed my system to the max. I had my CPU working at 100% the entire time it was going.

angrykeyboarder
October 17th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Have you installed the package build-essential?

Yup. I researched that beforehand. ./configure has actually worked for me a few times (on Ubuntu) in the past but I got lucky I guess.

angrykeyboarder
October 17th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Read the README that is included in the tarball . It usually details the libs you need to compile the program.

For example, if it complains about not finding X.... you need to install the X developmental packages (xlibs-dev)

I always read the README file. Some are well documented and some are pure s***.

angrykeyboarder
October 17th, 2005, 08:06 PM

What does MS Office give you that you can't find in Open Source alternatives?

Brunellus
October 17th, 2005, 08:29 PM
the usual answer is lots and lots of specialized macros. My father has formatting headaches with OpenOffice and MS Office; he doesnt' consider them dealbreakers, but they are minor irritants.

here at work, though, it's macros that will stop a migration.

xequence
October 17th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the links! I'm going to try the second one when I get some time (haha . . . ), and, if it works, well, then I shall obviously be very happy. Just wondering, would it run Windows inside of Linux? Or as well as?

And does it consume a lot of system resources? I noticed that QEmu, well, it pushed my system to the max. I had my CPU working at 100% the entire time it was going.

Well, it was really slow running XP inside VMware, on XP. But that is probably going to happen since one XP doesn't even work well with my computer. Only 192 MB RAM ;)

Other then that, it is fast, considering you ARE running two or more OSes ;)

canadianwriterman
October 17th, 2005, 08:48 PM

Have you tried OpenOffice.org 2.0? I've used Microsoft Office both professionally and at home for many years and have switched to OpenOffice completely. It's free, it's sophisticated, it has everything that MS Office has (plus a database) and it's completely compatible with MS Office formats.

basketcase
October 17th, 2005, 08:51 PM
My next goal, MythTV.

Lovechild
October 17th, 2005, 09:04 PM
My next goal.. world domination?

Setting up blogging software on my domain I think.

Stormy Eyes
October 17th, 2005, 09:06 PM
My next Ubuntu goal is making the bloody GIMP print to my Brother HL-2040 laser printer. I've got it working for every other app through CUPS, I've got gimp-print installed, and I've got a wife who's disappointed that the GIMP won't print.

basketcase
October 17th, 2005, 09:39 PM
My next goal.. world domination?

Setting up blogging software on my domain I think.
Wordpress.org ;)

Goober
October 17th, 2005, 10:32 PM
What does MS Office give you that you can't find in Open Source alternatives?

Because I'm taking a course at College which teaches you how to use M$ Office in a Business Environment. So I kinda need Office still kicking around because I literally need to follow directions word for word that are meant for Office, and are a pain to try and figure out for OOo, I can do the Labs and Assignments in OOo, but it just takes longer to figure where everything exactly is.

That is the sole reason I keep Office around. I use OOo for all other classes though, if I need to type something or do a SpreadSheet or something. And I am extremely grateful that OOo is compatible, that means I can type documents in OOo, convert it to .doc, and send it to friends and such.

majikstreet
October 17th, 2005, 11:01 PM
I always read the README file. Some are well documented and some are pure s***.
Some dev's don't know how to write.

That's my thoughts exactly. Same with the "man" command.

poofyhairguy
October 17th, 2005, 11:51 PM
My next Linux goal is to get Breezy to work with ePSXe.