PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant resize partition, says "to small"

leotemp
April 29th, 2008, 06:03 AM
This is my first real dip into the linux pool so this may be completely dumb.

I am booting from the install disc for "Hardy" and when i get to the partition part it displays my drive (320GB) and on the left is 80GB of windowsXP(highlighted in orange) and on the right is the ubuntu space. I would like to resize the partition so I could have about 100GB on windows and the rest for Ubuntu. So here comes the problems, When i click the guided resize options it tells me "to small" and doesn't continue. I try to click on the linux area (it doesn't highlight in orange not sure it should) and when i click to continue same error "to small".

So I tried the manual option (holy crap, i dont know the answers to any of these questions) it was above me so i backed out. So the next option i tried was guided "largest space" or something like that and i get the "to small" error again.. ARG.

Any suggestions? Please help me dump Windows and MacOS, im so tired of those bastards destroying me on a weekly basis.

Thanks!

mrbigg75
April 29th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I am not sure what you are saying, but this may help. Windows uses NTFS format for it partions. Linux uses something totally different. If you already installed Ubuntu and is trying to repartition drive, i can only suggest backing everything up, using your windows disk to redo hard drive, and then re-install ubuntu. that is the way i would do it.

Good luck. I am sure one of the goo roos will come up with a better idea.

mrbigg75
April 29th, 2008, 06:20 AM
You can also try to use a program like Magic Partition. I have never used it b4, but i had a problem with my first install. I used the windows disk and reformated the drive. From there, i re installed ubuntu.

leotemp
April 29th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I am trying to install ubuntu on a drive that has XP on it already, when booting off the install disc for ubuntu there appears to be no way to pass the partition portion of the install process as regardless of which option i choose it says simply "to small" and then returns to the partition portion of the install. I am running the install from windows now and it appears to be running correctly so far.