PDA

View Full Version : [other] GNOME user, help ease my way to KDE or XFCE

SomeGuyDude
April 29th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I really want to check out the other two major DE's because, hey, it's always a good idea to try things out. However, I have a few hangups, and if you all could ease my po' little mind that'd be awesome.

PREFACE: I'm not talking about installing another OS or anything, just these DE's onto my current Hardy installation.

1) I really love AWN. My AWN dock has become a staple of my existence. I cannot live without it. I know it runs on XFCE, but is there a quality KDE equivalent?

2) Installing themes easily would be nice. I remember having a balls of a time figuring out how to install themes in KDE. Drag tar file into Theme Manager in GNOME and there it is.

3) Battery life. I go on battery a long time, and while I know XFCE is light, I hear KDE is hell.

4) Firefox, MPD+Sonata, Pidgin, OOo. They run in these others, yes? And if speed is an issue, are the equivalents worthwhile (especially for MPD+Sonata).

5) Will I have to alter my Conky?

That's all I got for now, I'm sure I'll think of a few more, but those are the big 'uns.

Xiong Chiamiov
April 29th, 2008, 05:49 AM
1. Looks like you can (http://www.morphir.com/configure-avant-window-manager-under-KDE).

2. There are a few theme managers available for KDE 3 on kde-apps, while it's integrated in KDE 4 (but I wouldn't suggest using that piece of cra^H^H^Hbeta software. I haven't experimented with themes too much, as I just customize my own color themes to fit my wallpapers, which is very easy.

3. My roomie has a lappy with Kubuntu. I can't give too much in the way of comparison, but it gets about twice as much as it does when he runs Vista.

4. All apps run on any DE, just some not very well. I have no experience with MPD+Sonata, but the others are included by default in the kubuntu installation.

5. Haven't messed much with conky, but I don't think so.