PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Samba/CIFS no longer working after 8.04 upgrade

copperhead
April 29th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I'm putting this in the upgrade section, since it was working before I upgrade, and now it's no longer working.

I don't like upgrading, so I backed up all my home directories, and some important configuration files like my /etc/fstab, and rebuilt my workstation from scratch. My workstation had a samba mount to a samba share on a SUSE server named "gandalf". Here's my setup. (Please don't comment on my lack of security. :))

On gandalf, I have a directory /raid/share that is exported via samba. All the files in the directory are owned by nobody:nobody, and my guest account on my samba share is nobody. My windows box can mount the shares and read and write just fine to the samba share. As I said, up until this upgrade, my Ubuntu box could mount it read/write just fine as well.

In my /etc/fstab on my Ubuntu workstation, I had the following line...

//gandalf/share /mnt/gandalf smbfs rw,username=Copperhead,password=,uid=65534,gid=655 33,dmask=777,fmask=777 0 0

Now, I was getting these new errors:

WARNING: 'dmask' not expressed in octal.
WARNING: CIFS mount option 'dmask' is deprecated. Use 'dir_mode' instead.
WARNING: 'fmask' not expressed in octal.
WARNING: CIFS mount option 'fmask' is deprecated. Use 'file_mode' instead.

Odd... apparently, I'm using CIFS instead of SMB. Not a problem, though. I changed the line to the following:

//gandalf/share /mnt/gandalf smbfs rw,username=Copperhead,password=,uid=65534,gid=655 33,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 0 0

Now I do a "touch /mnt/gandalf/temp" (it doesn't exist) and get the following results:

-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody nobody 0 2008-04-28 22:32 temp

If I do a the touch command again, I get the following:

touch: cannot touch `temp': Permission denied

I tried messing around with a bunch of different things, but to no avail. One thing interesting is that I have a share on a windows box, that I also used to be able to mount read/write with no problems. I now get the same error as above when I mount it.

Something changed in the way my CIFS/SMB client works since the upgrade, and I'd like help in getting this resolved. Thanks!

EDIT: I wanted to add that when I try to delete the temp file I create using the touch command above, I get the following prompt, but I can delete the file:

rm: remove write-protected regular empty file `/mnt/gandalf/temp'?

MetalMusicAddict
April 29th, 2008, 04:01 AM
I was in the same boat as you. I only got around it by going to NFS. (doesn't really help you here)

So I actually had a fstab line very similar to you and even made the same changes. I didn't have the gid/uid entries though. I could get the drives mounted though. Just the permissions were all weird. ie: I would copy a group of 10 files, 2 would fail with permission errors. I tried those 2 again and it worked. Was weird.

My fstab before the change:

//192.168.1.100/Storage /media/Storage smbfs username=user,password=pass,dmask=777,fmask=777 0 0

After:

//192.168.1.100/Storage /media/Storage cifs username=user,password=pass,dir_mode=0777,file_mod e=0777 0 0

Now that worked for me, but was weird.

jelvis
May 1st, 2008, 03:22 PM
I had a similar problem (mounting the filesystem om my D-Link 323 NAS) and below follows how I worked around it. My only concern was to get it up and working, I have no idea about any potential side effects or security issues.

Changed from smbfs to cifs.
Changed dmask to dir_mode.
Changed fmask to file_mode.

Complained that I couldn't use octal notation for the numbers.
Changed from 777 to 0777 for both dir_mode and file_mode.

Still had permission problems.

Added the noperm option and it all worked again.

You can read more about the noperm option here.
http://linux.die.net/man/8/mount.cifs

tom-ubuntu
May 2nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
Having exactly the same problem since the 8.04 upgrade (well, upgrade and new fresh installation).

This noperm option can not be the final solution, right?

jaishup
May 4th, 2008, 03:39 AM
how do i solve this problem? i am facing the same problem.. :( that means we can;t use the cifs command? any other alternatives?

ubundom
November 4th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Hi folks, I found an answer that worked for me in:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-778746.html

whereby I have mounted the samba share which is served from an NSLU2 that is running Linux 2.6.18-6-ixp4xx #1 Tue Feb 12 00:57:53 UTC 2008 armv5tel with a couple of Western Digital 500GB disks attached.

I used
sudo mount -t cifs //nslu2ipaddress/sharename ~/my_local_mountpoint -o username=my_samba_username,password=my_samba_passw ord,uid=my_linux_username,group=users

Thanks for your help Edk for finding: http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=58707

YorYor
November 8th, 2008, 06:37 AM
For those who are getting a
mount error 20 = Not a directory
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs) error,

do this

sudo bash -c "echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled"

ref: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/mount.cifs-mount-error-20-not-a-directory-443693/