PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please help with installation

jchance
April 29th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Hey, I'm new to linux and having a little trouble installing Ubuntu to dual boot with XP on my "main" computer. I successfully installed Ubuntu Hardy on an older computer and LOVE it, but now that I have decided to set up my main box I can't seem to get it installed.

When performing the install of Hardy x64 from the live CD the kernel loading box goes to 100%, the Ubuntu logo loading screen comes up, and the bar fills up to about 84% and then it just stops. I've tried waiting it out, but after going to sleep last night and waking up with it still at 84% I think its safe to assume its not going to finish :)

I've tried the i386 version too, no dice. The i386 disk was the same one I installed the older working box with, so I know the CD is good and both disks (x68 and i386) passed the consistency check.

My hardware specs are:

Asus A8N-SLI Premium with the 1303 BIOS (most current)
AMD Athlon 64 (don't remember the mhz)
ATI X800 Video card
2x 250GB Sata drives
Creative Audigy sound card

I'll be honest, I don't know my *** from a hole in the ground when it comes to linux, but if anybody wants to talk to me like a baby and walk me through it I'd be willing to give anything a shot to get it installed. Like I said, I love ubuntu on my older box and I really can't wait to get it set up on my main computer.

coolaj86
April 29th, 2008, 02:59 AM
For troubleshooting help like that try googling for a LUG in your area. There are always a load of young high-school and college students that want to make the transition to Linux as painless for you as possible.

I don't have my Hardy disc on me at the moment to go test it in the other computer, but usually you can press ESC or F1 or CTRL+ALT+F1 and it will show you the messages of what's happening rather than the progress bar. Once you have a better idea of what the problem is it becomes easier to troubleshoot.

Tip #2 - If you hit F5 or F6 or F7 at the boot screen you might see an option something like 'failsafe' that you can type in.

Another tip might be to try a 7.10 installation and then upgrade (I had an older PC that wouldn't load a 6.04 disc but would load a 5.10 disc).