PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] after upgrade to 8.04 system boots to busybox

peter_t
April 29th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I am new to linux so please excuse my ignorance. After running the upgrade to 8.04 from the Update Manager in 7.10, my laptop (dell m1330n) boots to busybox. If I select the 2.6.26-16-generic kernel it loads fine but I don't even know if this is the kernel that I should be running. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

radpup
April 29th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I had the same issue....I found a fix if you are using supergrub and have SATA drives. Simple change in the supergrub startup script.

D

I am new to linux so please excuse my ignorance. After running the upgrade to 8.04 from the Update Manager in 7.10, my laptop (dell m1330n) boots to busybox. If I select the 2.6.26-16-generic kernel it loads fine but I don't even know if this is the kernel that I should be running. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

peter_t
April 29th, 2008, 02:19 AM
I had the same issue....I found a fix if you are using supergrub and have SATA drives. Simple change in the supergrub startup script.

D

Ahhh, thank you that seems to have corrected it. What is the difference between the virtual and generic kernels?

radpup
April 29th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Not sure on that one....I'm somewhat of a newb, on my first install. When I got the busybox error, I spent a couple days trying to work the issue until I found a way to fix the boot script.

d

Ahhh, thank you that seems to have corrected it. What is the difference between the virtual and generic kernels?