PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE4: How to give up after 5 minutes...

dernier_recours
April 29th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I install Kubuntu 8.04, KDE4 "Cutting edge". The installation go fine. I reduce the size of the panel. The clock is not resizable though. I execute Adept to install some apps. I add Koffice2 repository. It does not show on the list. I resart Adept. It tells me there is an error with the added repository and I have to run apt-get update. I open a terminal and it says that I have to correct line 56 in sources.list. This file can only be edited in root. I try "sudo kate". Command not found. Sudo simply does not work to start apps.

The panel with the clock half cut gets me on my nerves. I put it back to normal size. However, now, the bottom half of the panel is a thick gray line hidding the icons.

Accidentaly, I drop the "open files manager" from the panel. I put it back, but it appears on the right on all plasmoids that were there before. I can't change the order.

I try to reboot, hoping that the gray line will disapear. Impossible to shot down using the buttons into the menu. I resart it using the computer's button. After login, surprise, the panel is gone. I can not find a way to get it back.

I open konqueror to post this message. It crashes.

Well, I think I will wait for 4.1...

beartard
April 29th, 2008, 01:27 AM
You've just discovered for yourself what everyone has been saying since KDE4 was in alpha: Wait until 4.1 (or later.) It's still very much a work-in-progress. I would definitely not use KDE4 as my work environment until it matures, the applications catch up with it, and the customization is there as in KDE3.

By the way, it's not usually a good idea to run "sudo" on gui applications. In KDE, use "kdesu" or "kdesudo". In GNOME, use "gksu".

Gannin
April 29th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the laugh. KDE 4 does have great potential, but it's not there yet.

As for msyelf, as with many other people all over the forums, I'm having nagging issues with regular 8.04, enough so that I'm using Mandriva at the moment but even though it's nice, it just doesn't quite feel like home.

Kenobi
April 30th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Hmmmm?????

How comes you just copied my day!? All you mention happened to me these days....

I really hope for KDE 4.04 where they hopefully fix AT LEAST the panel problems or the world will soon think: KDE? Oh my god! Hands off!

Tom Mann
September 3rd, 2008, 09:58 PM
I forced myself onto KDE4 from 4.0, and I am glad to see how far it has come since release - it's come a long way very quickly.

May I ask you guys if you have tried the 4.1 repo on Hardy (which is what I'm running now) it is running like a dream for me...

T

billgoldberg
September 3rd, 2008, 10:59 PM
I forced myself onto KDE4 from 4.0, and I am glad to see how far it has come since release - it's come a long way very quickly.

May I ask you guys if you have tried the 4.1 repo on Hardy (which is what I'm running now) it is running like a dream for me...

T

Yes tried it

Big improvement over 4.0.

But it still has the xorg 99% cpu bug for me, so it's unusable.,