PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade interrupted (almost finished) how to continue?

lugburz
April 28th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I was upgrading ubuntu 7.10 to 8.10. When the process was almost done, firefox (I was visiting few web pages waiting) freezed the screen. I waited for a while to try to wait that update manager had done.

When the disk and processor didn't have activity (panel applet continued to work) i rebooted the system. Now the hardy installation seems to work but I'm not sure that all the installation steps are done: i.e. system cleaning.

Have someone a suggestion how to know if some step is missing?

thanks in advance.

lugburz
April 28th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Looking better I found a wrong beaviour: any time I restart the laptop the normal hraphical scrollbar after few seconds disappear, chainging with the old-fashion text messages composed of :

init... [done]

Pumalite
April 28th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Try:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade.

lugburz
April 28th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I tryied and all seems ok.

Looking into the /var/log/dist-upgrade/main.log the last message notices that the installer has found the obsoete packages. I removed them with "apt-get autoremove".

Pumalite
April 28th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Congrats.

lugburz
April 29th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks, but the start issue continues and I'm thinking that this could be related with the problem I have trying to hybernate the laptop: it resumes as I had shutdown without attempting to resume anything.

Pumalite
April 29th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Fot laptops to hibernate, /swap must be equal to RAM.

lugburz
April 29th, 2008, 11:58 AM
This is exactly my case 1.5GB of Ram ->1.6 GB of Swap. I'm now able to suspend after removed the sonypi module, but the issue with the hyberantion seems something different.

I'm continuing to think that could be related with the boot behaviour.

lugburz
April 29th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Solved!!!

One step was also missing: "update-initramfs", running this command graphical login and hibarnation began to work well. Suspend still have some random problem but I'm investigating.