PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Five MacBook 2,1 Hardy problems and their solutions

bluefish86
April 28th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I've finally got my hardy installation working the way I want it, so I figured I'd share what I had to do to get it to this point. Note that these solutions are for a MacBook 2,1. They may or may not apply to other MacBook revisions. Run this command to see what revision you have:

sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name

Hopefully this information helps.

Hardy refused to boot after installation
I had to reinstall, this time changing the bootloader settings. On the final confirmation screen of the installer before it begins its work, click on the "Advanced..." button. Change (hd0) to (hd0,i) where i is the partition number of your Ubuntu install minus one. For example, I installed Ubuntu on sda4, so I had to change it to (hd0,3).

After the installation completes and your computer reboots to the rEFIt menu, use the keyboard to select and run the Partitioning Tool (if you don't already have rEFIt installed, find it here (http://refit.sourceforge.net) and install it from Mac OS X). It should tell you it needs to do work to repair the damage the installer did and ask you for confirmation. Hit y to let it do its stuff. When it brings you back to the menu, choose Shutdown.

Next time you start your computer and choose Linux, hardy should boot fine.

The sound is really quiet
Run this command to open the mixer:

gnome-volume-control
Go to preferences and make sure that "Front" and "Surround" are enabled. Close preferences and check that the "Front" and "Surround" sliders are all the way up and that mute (the little speaker under the sliders) isn't set. Close the mixer. You should now have full control over the volume with the keyboard keys and the panel volume applet.

After I leave my computer inactive for a while, the screen goes black but the backlight stays on
For some reason, the default in hardy is that the screensaver is set to black the screen after 10 minutes but the power manager is set to never turn it off. Just change the settings in System->Preferences->Screensaver and System->Preferences->Power Management to something more logical.

Wireless doesn't work
Run the following commands to install working drivers:

sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf automake
wget http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-trunk/madwifi-ng-r3358-20080215.tar.gz
tar -zxvf madwifi-ng-r3358-20080215.tar.gz
cd madwifi-ng-r3358-20080215
make
sudo make install
echo -e '#!/bin/sh\n/sbin/iwpriv ath0 bgscan 0' | sudo tee -a /etc/acpi/resume.d/99-madwifi-bgscan.sh
sudo chmod 755 /etc/acpi/resume.d/99-madwifi-bgscan.sh
sudo depmod -ae
sudo modprobe -r ath_pci
sudo modprobe ath_pci

If everything went well, running the command iwconfig should output something like this:

chris@chris-laptop:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wifi0 no wireless extensions.

ath0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"" Nickname:""
Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:1 Mb/s Tx-Power:14 dBm Sensitivity=1/1
Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=0/70 Signal level=-96 dBm Noise level=-96 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:99153 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

chris@chris-laptop:~$

Network manager should also now work. You can safely delete the madwifi archive and folder that these commands put in your home folder.

Dual head doesn't work like the hardy page says it should
See my replies in another thread here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=768761).

The built-in command bound to the display key (F7) doesn't work very well. You can bind the script I posted in the other thread instead by running these commands:

gconftool-2 --unset /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/keybindings/xrandr
gconftool-2 --type string --set /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_command_8 "XF86Display"
gconftool-2 --type string --set /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands/command_8 "vga"

cyberdork33
April 28th, 2008, 11:32 PM
I've finally got my hardy installation working the way I want it, so I figured I'd share what I had to do to get it to this point. Note that these solutions are for a MacBook 2,1.
Please add information to the wiki page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook

buschi
April 30th, 2008, 05:36 PM
hi! thanks a lot for the description! i have only one question... did you install the 64bit version?

cyberdork33
May 1st, 2008, 03:17 AM
hi! thanks a lot for the description! i have only one question... did you install the 64bit version?
it shouldn't make a difference

robsk3
June 17th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Wireless doesn't work
Run the following commands to install working drivers:

Hi Bluefish! I tried this wireless handling but this was all I saw afterwards and no mention of the wireless that you are seeing.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

root@bubuntu:/#

Maybe I did something wrong? I'm very very new to Linux!

This was the response it gave me here... and it didn't seem right.

After that each line just went in and the next command line came up, so I don't know whether it stopped having an effect there or not.

Any idea's on how to work this?

Thanks!!!
Rob

cyberdork33
June 17th, 2008, 03:22 PM
After that each line just went in and the next command line came up, so I don't know whether it stopped having an effect there or not.

Any idea's on how to work this?
You didn't seem to mention the last few commands which are the ones that actually load the driver:

sudo depmod -ae
sudo modprobe -r ath_pci
sudo modprobe ath_pci