PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 7.10 -> 8.04 breaks crossover wine (fglrx problem??)

dbroenni
April 28th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hello,

I have upgraded to 8.04 and the upgrade broke my crossover office which worked flawlessly in 7.10. If I start the program in question, I get a segmentation fault and the backtrace starts at fglrx_dri.so.

Any ideas what I could do? Can it be that the restricted ati driver is the problem (fglrx_dri.so)? "fglrxinfo" also ends with a segmentation fault. 3D desktop does not work either.

I have a Lenovo T60p with an Ati Fire GL V5200
(01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M56GL [Mobility FireGL V5250])

(Sorry I tried to post the entire error message directly, but the system refuses as it detects too many images???)

dbroenni
May 1st, 2008, 10:15 PM
I have managed to resolve the problem.
In the end the ATI restricted driver fglrx caused the wine/crossover crash. (Upgrading with EnvyNG did not work with my setup.)
I resolved the problem in two steps (at the cost of 3D support, however):

- Switch from restricted ATI/flgrx driver to open source driver (which did not work in 7.10 with my Ati FireGL 5200 in Lenovo Thinkpad T60p)

- Resolve Wine/Crossover problem with memory allocation as suggested here: http://wiki.winehq.org/PreloaderPageZeroProblem

For me this is OK as I don't need 3D in most cases (except for googleearth...)