PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Creative Audigy 2 Sound Blaster Install Hang

teejay17
April 28th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Okay, this is a strange problem, but I am hoping someone can help me. First off, I think my Audigy card died—it doesn't work in Windows, and caused major crashing, so I disabled it and went to strictly onboard sound. Now my system doesn't crash.
However, when I try to boot, install, or simply run live CD, the system majorly hangs; this happens with both 7.10 and 8.04. I'd really like a solution to this problem.
My sound card is disabled in the BIOS, and onboard sound enabled, so why all the trouble? Why the hang?

Cresho
April 28th, 2008, 06:17 PM
most likely, your soundcard is not supported so get yourself a new one. But it would better help us if you can tell us your motherboard and your onboard soundcard type. I use an audigy 2 gamer edition 24 bit OEM which runs just fine in windows and linux. 30 bucks.

teejay17
April 28th, 2008, 11:09 PM
most likely, your soundcard is not supported so get yourself a new one. But it would better help us if you can tell us your motherboard and your onboard soundcard type. I use an audigy 2 gamer edition 24 bit OEM which runs just fine in windows and linux. 30 bucks.
It's worked fine for the last two years no problem, for both Windows and Ubuntu. Now it's a no go for both these programmes. So it must be a hardware issue.
One day, my system crashed, both Windows and Ubuntu. Windows is working now, with a fresh install and no driver enabled for Creative (when I do install the driver, it crashes majorly again!).
But Ubuntu will not boot period. At all. Not even a little bit. Not even Live CD.

teejay17
April 30th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Bump...and I also want to say that even trying to use Wubi to install Ubuntu via Windows still brings about a boot hang at startup. The little yellow bar under the Ubuntu logo stops a quarter of the way in, and just hangs there.

teejay17
May 29th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Also, this happens with the new 8.04 version. When I try to run the LiveCD, it freezes a quarter of the way into the boot-up.
It also happens when I try to install inside Windows. Anyone know how I can bypass this in order to install on my system?

HuntMike79
May 30th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I have one of the god awful audigy 2 cards also.

Xubuntu wouldn't install at all with the A2 in my comp. I took the card out and everything works perfectly now. I'm not sure why. I don't even have onboard sound (abit kt7a motherboard).

I'm going to try a few other soundcards and see if they work any better...

Try removing your card, install ubuntu, then put it back in and see what happens? I'd be tempted just to bin the card tho, much easier. :lol:

teejay17
May 30th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I have one of the god awful audigy 2 cards also.

Xubuntu wouldn't install at all with the A2 in my comp. I took the card out and everything works perfectly now. I'm not sure why. I don't even have onboard sound (abit kt7a motherboard).

I'm going to try a few other soundcards and see if they work any better...

Try removing your card, install ubuntu, then put it back in and see what happens? I'd be tempted just to bin the card tho, much easier. :lol:
I don't know why though—7.10 worked flawlessly until last month. Vista did too. Then one morning, both OSs just crashed and burned.
Vista is up and running now; I just didn't install the driver for the Soundblaster card, and I also enabled onboard sound.
Why can't I just do the same with Ubuntu? I just don't feel like taking my PC apart.