PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy Internet connection lost

Roger D
April 28th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Hi

Been getting on fine with Hardy - a real step forward. Then decided it would be nice to try and get my Edimax USB wireless stick working - I'd been connecting to the Internet via an Ethernet cable. The Edimax USB stick used to work with Dapper, but was 'killed' by an upgrade.

On the advice of the supplier of the USB stick I edited the blacklist file - basically unblacklisting rt73usb (I think this is the driver supplied in Hardy) and blacklisting rt73 (I think this is the driver I'd previously installed for my USB stick).

There was some progress, my Networking Setting changed to show a wireless connection -see attachments. Something then went wrong - it may have something to do with me trying to unlock the wireless connection - but anyway, the net result is that I've no network connection of any description. Restoring my blacklist file hasn't helped.

I'm sure there's something wrong with Networking Settings - the images shouldn't be 'dimmed out' like this, should they?

All help much appreciated. I'm not too much worried about wireless, I just be happy if the Ethernet cable connection worked

Roger D

epee
April 28th, 2008, 10:52 PM
On the advice of the supplier of the USB stick I edited the blacklist file - basically unblacklisting rt73usb (I think this is the driver supplied in Hardy) and blacklisting rt73 (I think this is the driver I'd previously installed for my USB stick).
First thing you need to do is identify which is the correct driver, otheriwse you'll be going around in circles for days...

I'm sure there's something wrong with Networking Settings - the images shouldn't be 'dimmed out' like this, should they?
Try clicking on 'Unlock' ;)