PDA

View Full Version : M$' Get The Facts Campaign

Sirin
October 16th, 2005, 07:22 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/facts/default.mspx Is this complete BS or what? :rolleyes: This came out about 2 months ago (but I didn't see it anywhere on here, so I was gonna post it here), when Linux was gaining some high attention. When Microsoft noticed this, they had to do what was best for them: Lie about Linux.

Of course, when Vista comes out, M$ is most likely gonna start blabbering about how it's better than Linux on the desktop.

Goober
October 16th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Ya, I read this. Typical M$ Propaganda.

blastus
October 16th, 2005, 08:39 PM
I don't believe much of anything Microsoft says. Microsoft, as well as all large for-profit corporations, operate under what I call a "fundamental closed-world assumption." That is, the world consists of their products and their products alone. Under this assumption, everything they say must necessarily be self-serving and must consist of truths, half-truths, and lies. Generally, the more powerful a company becomes the more arrogant they become.

bored2k
October 16th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Although I might not agree with "most" of what's stated on that article, I respect its writer as well as its believers. Not everyone thinks the same way. Not everyone can be pleased with the latest Windows or the latest Ubuntu, that's why we have a choice. Are home made cookies better then Sara Lee's boxed ones? Could or could not be.. that's up to he who is going to taste it.

kvidell
October 16th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Has anyone ever read "The Unix Hater's Handbook (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?isbn=1568842031)" ?
It's a really really good document/book.

Sometimes I sit down at a windows machine and go "OOOHHHH HOW ILLOGICAL AND STUPID! *face-desk*", but reading that document really sets me back at level.

It's not stupid or illogical, it's a different logic. And no one's really at fault.
The book discusses how some of the networking archetecture, user rights archetecture, file/fs permissions, etc.. work and how it's "wrong" or "hard to deal with" from a non-unix savvy/user's perspective.

Go read it (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?isbn=1568842031).
- Kev

Curlydave
October 16th, 2005, 08:55 PM
It's an article from Microsoft about a Microsoft product vs. a competitor's product. Of course they will endorse their own product--- it's business, not "propoganda".

tseliot
October 16th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Of course, when Vista comes out, M$ is most likely gonna start blabbering about how it's better than Linux on the desktop.

If it was the other way round their propaganda couldn't be successful. Can you imagine Bill Gates himself saying: Ok, Linux is more secure, cheaper (etc.) than our O.S. but please buy Windows because I have to make money out of it.
I don't think they would sell very much :p

xequence
October 16th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Majikstreet's signature basically says it all about the cost of windows and linux ;)