PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Freezing clock/calendar and firefox

Imppu
April 28th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I assume I should report these somewhere but do not know where and how. Anyway, when I click on the clock/calendar it freezes everything on the panels. I can only use whatever I have open on the desktop. Cannot even log out or shut the computer. The whole computer, apart from the clock ticking away, freezes when I try to resize the Firefox window by clicking on the top left hand corner button and using the resize from there. In both cases I can only get out by restarting the computer.
So, what to do where to report and how?

peacewithall
April 28th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I get this too, I click on the clock to check my calender, and all panels freeze, only way is to restart as you said. I'm not quite sure how to report problems and am only replying because I think this is quite a serious bug.

Can anyone help?, or is anyone else suffering from this bug?.

bshosey
April 28th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I have ubuntu 8.04 on 3 systems. I also have it in a Virtual Box. I only have this problem on one system. It is a Dell Latatude D420
It has an Intel 945GM.

I use this system at work It is an important system to me and I do use this calendar feature allot and would like some help fixing it.

My other laptop is an Inspiron 1721 it has an ATI video card. 8.04 runs darn good never crashed on it. My other system is a desktop I built ( Old duel P3 System ) It flies on that as well no problems with either one of these systems.

flloyd
April 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I have the exact same problem as well for the last week (I've been on 8.04 for about five weeks). Really frustrating and I'm not quite sure what to do.

Edit:

Okay, i found elsewhere that this is a known bug with the Google Plugin in Evolution. the solution currently is to disable you Google Calendar in Evolution and it should be fine, it worked for me.

firefeather
April 30th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Okay, i found elsewhere that this is a known bug with the Google Plugin in Evolution.

Link, please?

EDIT: I believe Launchpad bug #194505 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-panel/+bug/194505) is the one referred to.

alexyarmula2
April 30th, 2008, 09:21 AM
What do ya'll mean under 'freeze'?
I came here to figure out what bug I'm having: they totally disappear! Both calendar and menu items. And bottom taskbar too! That didn't happen right away after installation, and it started out of a sudden: not that I installed any new programs.

Imppu
May 1st, 2008, 09:14 AM
I thought I update my experience. I read somewhere that the freezing of the clock does not happen all the time. Then I read the message on this thread about the connexion to Evolution. I started experimenting yesterday. First, I uninstalled Evolution as I do not use it at all. When I clicked on the clock after the computer had been on for a while it did not freeze, but worked fine. I did not know if it was the result of doing it after the computer had been on for the whole day or of getting rid of Evolution. So this morning I clicked on the clock first thing and it worked. I have been doing it every few minutes and everything is fine. So it seems one problem is solved for me and it seems it is connected to Evolution.
Firefox resize button still froze everything last night.For me that is not really a problem as I can avoid using the button without it causing any difficulties.