PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slight problem after upgrading gutsy to hardy

murtaza
April 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I just upgraded ubuntu on my sony vaio pcg-k45 laptop few days ago. After the upgrade was complete, my laptop restarted, but the problem is that I use a CRT monitor because I have detached the LCD screen since its broken and now after loading, the screen goes black where I have to login. So, I just put in my username and password and I can hear the login sound. But, there is still no display. The monitor works perfectly fine since I use it with my DEll PC.

pro003
April 28th, 2008, 03:54 PM
if you see black screen and a little bit flickering thing on top of the screen... then you are probably using ati graphic card...

why don't you do fresh install?

murtaza
April 29th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Yea..I do have an ati graphic card..I might do a fresh intall...it's just a spent a while getting all the eye candy stuff..and I still a beginner

pro003
April 29th, 2008, 03:00 PM
well, i had rough times with reinstallations, sometimes a couple times a day... but eventually you'll learn a lot from mistakes, ubuntu is sort of lifestyle... if you know whatta mean..:popcorn:

murtaza
May 3rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
A fresh installation didn't work...after the GRUB loads, there is no display after....So, I have no idea what to do next...I could spend $150 and fix the LCD screen for my laptop since the external monitor doesn't help in this situation..

pro003
May 3rd, 2008, 07:35 PM
when you install ubuntu, where do you see the output? on crt external monitor?

and if you have no problem during the installation, where exactly 'picture' disappears? do you get to see log on screen, what's the last picture you see?

whoa!

I've been pain in... now.:)

pro003
May 3rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
ok one more idea... when you get to the grub menu, on the first line ubuntu 8.04... type 'e' on your keyboard, then choose one of the 4 lines with letter 'b' (means boot)... i don't know but you might start the x somehow... if that doesn't work - maybe some linux guru can push this thing straight to solution...:(

murtaza
May 4th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Ok...the thing is after the upgrade to ubuntu 8.04...i installed a completely different linux...that is freespire...then I tried a fresh install of ubuntu 8.04 after the CD loads, you know where you see the bar loading, the screen goes black...I will try what you have said in the last post...And yes I am using a crt monitor

murtaza
May 4th, 2008, 02:34 AM
ok..everything works now...now I just have to install the drivers for my wireless card...I couldn't find Windows Wireless Drivers graphical interface... i think it's called Ndisgtk...

pro003
May 4th, 2008, 05:24 PM
ok.. glad you solve the problem... if you have problems with this ubuntu loading bar disappearing during the set up then you should probably try install in safe mode or even if that doesn't work that the last solution is getting the ubuntu-alternate-cd-i386.iso that is not a problem...:)