PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Server upgrade from Gutsy using CD?

richcoosa19
April 28th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I have a server installation that is currently running Gutsy 7.10. Is there a way that instead of having the upgrade pull down all packages either via FTP, RSYNC, or HTTP could I perform the upgrade via the install cd? This would make for a much faster installation and would keep the network from getting bogged down seeing as how I downloaded the Server Install cd over the weekend. So far the only upgrade path that I have found is to do the 'sudo do-release-upgrade'...

Thanks,
Richie

richcoosa19
April 28th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Could I just add the cd to the apt sources, do a apt-get update and then a apt-get dist-upgrade? Or would that break stuff?

richcoosa19
April 28th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Can I get a bump, bump?

az
April 28th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Could I just add the cd to the apt sources, do a apt-get update and then a apt-get dist-upgrade? Or would that break stuff?

sudo apt-cdrom add
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Keep your online repos active, since you will want up-to-the-minute security updates. As well, if you have packages installed that are not on the cd, you will need them to be up-to-date or you risk breaking something. But if the same packages are available locally (on the cd), apt will get them from there instead of the network.

richcoosa19
April 29th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks!

Stu09
February 2nd, 2009, 01:18 AM
Would this work upgrading from Dapper LTS to Hardy LTS ?