PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CD/DVD won't read CD/DVD's

nu-kid
April 28th, 2008, 02:30 PM
System76 model:FL92

I have a System76 Laptop w/matshita dvd ram uj 850s. For some reason no matter what CD I put in it doesn't allow me to browse the contents, it only says there's a blank CD as if it's ready to be burned. Even CD's that have data already there appear the same way. With DVD movies it doesn't respond at all. Has anyone seen this before?!!!

thomasaaron
April 29th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Is that the drive that came with the computer?

nu-kid
May 2nd, 2008, 05:34 AM
yes that is the drive that came with the PC.

thomasaaron
May 2nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
If this is Ray, I need you to give me a call. I've sent a few emails to you, but I've not heard back.

kentpend
June 13th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I'm having the same problem on my machine. I never had the problem before upgrading to Hardy, and the disks also read fine in windows, so I know its not a hardware issue.

thomasaaron
June 13th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Which System76 model are you using, and exactly what is happening? Does your drive spin up? Do you get an icon on your Desktop after inserting a disk?

What happens if you click the icon?

With the previous case it was a broken drive.

If yours works in Windows, though, your situation is different. There was a bug in update manager that caused some dvd players to not be recognized after upgrading. Most of those folks had to do a re-install.

ovidiu.ursachi
October 23rd, 2009, 06:16 PM
I am facing suddenly the same problem on my Sony Vaio. I have made today some updates (the list from dkpg.log is to big to insert it here) and mu CDROM / DVD is not read anymore when I'm inserting it. I have no issues on XP or in boot with it.

I'm having the following kernel release if this does help: 2.6.28-16-generic

Thanks!
Ovidiu