PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubunutu-desktop gone

anuban
April 28th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I was running Evolution and suddenly my machine stopped responding. I did a hard reset. After that I don't see anything on my desktop. Desktop wallpaper is intact, besides that I don't see the two bars, any icon, nothing. I don't see anything except a wallpaper.
When I run in Failsafe mode, everything works fine.
I am not sure what I need to do run my machine as usual.
I am running a clean install Hardy with dual boot Vista on a Dell Inspiron 1505.
Please help.

elpichi
April 28th, 2008, 01:37 PM
This old trick should do the trick if you didn't uninstall your desktop environment.

rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacity

warning This resets all your settings to default

but before you do this give it a restart to the computer and see if it fixes itself.

Ub1476
April 28th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I believe that hard freeze is due to a kernel bug..

Press alt+f2 and run "gnome-panel".

Google Spider
April 28th, 2008, 01:38 PM
<want to delete this post>

redbob
April 28th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Anuban, your diagnostic is not so clear. Since you can't get anything in GUI, I recommend you to log by line-command (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and take a look in you syslog
nano /var/log/syslog. This already happened to me, it was DNS name issue, but I don't believe it's the same on you.

anuban
April 28th, 2008, 01:52 PM
This old trick should do the trick if you didn't uninstall your desktop environment.

rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacitywarning This resets all your settings to default

but before you do this give it a restart to the computer and see if it fixes itself.

I have done restart several times.
I tried solving the issues using Recovery mode but that didn't help.
I tried changing the session, but only Failsafe mode works.

One more thing might help, my keyboard shortcuts are working, e.g. CTRL+ALT+DEL bring the quit menu and let me shutdown/restart the machine. Except that nothing works unless I know how to access terminal and run the application with command line.

I will try using the above command you mentioned.

Thanks

anuban
April 29th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Got the trick:

Press CTRL+ALT+F2
Login and password
sudo apt-get remove gnome-panel
sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop.
Restart...

everything should be fine.:)

joshzam
August 9th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Got the trick:

Press CTRL+ALT+F2
Login and password
sudo apt-get remove gnome-panel
sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop.
Restart...

everything should be fine.:)

I was very eager to try this as NOTHING else I have found on these forums have helped and I have the same problem as the original poster... and I'm sorry to say that this didn't work for me either :(

Thanks for the suggestion and now let's see if anyone else can help us out. There appear to be a lot of people with this same problem...

anuban
August 10th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I was very eager to try this as NOTHING else I have found on these forums have helped and I have the same problem as the original poster... and I'm sorry to say that this didn't work for me either :(

Thanks for the suggestion and now let's see if anyone else can help us out. There appear to be a lot of people with this same problem...

I think I got a better way of resolving this problem.
Login with GNOME Ubuntu Desktop (3rd or 4th option) when you boot.
Go to your Home folder.
Delete 'gnome2' and 'gnome-private' folders.
Reboot your system with default settings on.

You should be all set.

Hope it works for you.
Thanks
Anurag Bansal