PDA

View Full Version : firefox 3? ubuntu tweak?

newbieforever
April 28th, 2008, 01:17 PM
1 - once upgraded with the final hh release, i found that the installer forced firefox 3 BETA, BETA, you know? BETA on a stable release, while i cant have stable apps because of the repos policy (see my posts)

consequences?

3 grabbed all configs and add-ons from 2' directory

3 doesnt support almost any of the key security, privacy, and utilities (i mean really useful utilities, while not necessary) add-ons: well, no problem, back to 2

then i run firefox-2, and i found that ALL extensions no more worked
--> i had to install swiftweasel, grab its grabbed profile directory, and recovery firefox 2's one... just 1 workday:

FUNNY!

2 - i found a geek tiny app: ubuntu tweak: i discovered that ubuntu decided many things for me: the two most important and stupid:
- to load process i didnt required at startup (heavy load process)
- to load some processes TWICE, making two instance going into conflict and generating freeze times
- to limit the maximum load of the cpu to 80%: WHAT? ubuntu decides to limit the speed of my machine without asking me? i set it to 100% and my machine had a real boost: simply i can see appear letters in gmail while i type, and not the day after, i dont have to wait ubuntu mysterious thoughts which freezed my machine for 10-20 seconds every time, and so on...

NOW: do you really think that ubuntu is freedom for human being?

why ubuntu only on dell for example? why lg electronics great laptops are hidden? i dont believe a word about ubuntu philosophy...
i expect some suse-like submission to microsoft ring of interests...

and be aware of trusted computing: i dont see anything in ubuntu which took care of that...

i only wait to make mepis to work fine on my machine, than i will turn to it, great user manual, great performances, great and EFFECTIVE and FRIENDLY forum support

gn2
April 28th, 2008, 01:32 PM
i only wait to make mepis to work fine on my machine, than i will turn to it

Whatever works for you, stick to it.

FF3 can be removed, it's use isn't mandatory.

newbieforever
April 28th, 2008, 01:45 PM
FF3 can be removed, it's use isn't mandatory.
mff 3 is not mandatory, but my 1 workday troubles were mandatory, and i'm not happy about that...
and to limit my processor speed... why? with which right? no surprise mepis is light speed compared to ubt (and mepis only needs some hardware compatibility tuning, then you'll have a real debian with the ease of a snap, and you could turn into a stable though rolling distro

gn2
April 28th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Ubuntu Tweak is not a supported application.
Any problems encountered should be taken up with the Ubuntu Tweak developer, tualatrix, a student in China: http://ubuntu-tweak.com/about

To switch to FF2 from FF3 takes about five minutes.
You should not use non-repo software unless you are prepared to be responsible for the consequences.

Your problems are just that, yours that you created yourself and not Ubuntu's fault.

CouchMaster
April 28th, 2008, 01:57 PM
mff 3 is not mandatory, but my 1 workday troubles were mandatory, and i'm not happy about that...
and to limit my processor speed... why? with which right? no surprise mepis is light speed compared to ubt (and mepis only needs some hardware compatibility tuning, then you'll have a real debian with the ease of a snap, and you could turn into a stable though rolling distro

If you are determined to leave Ubuntu then PC Linux is almost identical to SimplyMepis but a superior OS.

picpak
April 28th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I was skeptical about Firefox 3 at first, but now I love it. It's faster, more stable, and the address bar is vastly superior to Firefox 2. More of my extensions have worked since the last time I tried it. For the ones that didn't, however, I did a time-consuming trick that involved downloading the extension, extracting it, editing a line in install.rdf that changes the version it can be used with, and zipping it back up again. It works...but like I said, very time-consuming.

maniacmusician
April 28th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I was skeptical about Firefox 3 at first, but now I love it. It's faster, more stable, and the address bar is vastly superior to Firefox 2. More of my extensions have worked since the last time I tried it. For the ones that didn't, however, I did a time-consuming trick that involved downloading the extension, extracting it, editing a line in install.rdf that changes the version it can be used with, and zipping it back up again. It works...but like I said, very time-consuming.
Isn't there a FF extension that disables version checking for all extentions across the board? Either an extension or an option in the Prefs. But I'm pretty sure it's there. A lot less tedious than changing each extension :)

Arathorn
April 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Yes, Nightly Tester Tools (https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/addon/6543) does that, very useful. I don't understand what the OP's disagreement with the defaults of Ubuntu has to do with (the lack of) freedom in Ubuntu. Nobody forces you to use Firefox 3 instead of 2, and a distro like Ubuntu does need default applications. If you don't want that do a command line install and build your favourite Ubuntu from the ground up.

newbieforever
April 30th, 2008, 03:29 AM
If you are determined to leave Ubuntu then PC Linux is almost identical to SimplyMepis but a superior OS.

(...)
I don't understand what the OP's disagreement with the defaults of Ubuntu has to do with (the lack of) freedom in Ubuntu. Nobody forces you to use Firefox 3 (...)
If you don't want that do a command line install and build your favourite Ubuntu from the ground up.

yes, i'm determined to leave ubuntu

i strongly disagree with all its story, its repos policy, the complete lack of listening by the maintainers from "the base" (us)

result? i cant install the version of the stable package i want, but i'm forced to a BETA (firefox) when i dont want it, and to have a 3 releases aged key package (openoffice and ntfs-3g) when i needed it: result? all my windows partitions locked, all permissions destroyed, a week to recover my data, format and have a clean windows installation

i dont trust the windows i cant open, but i neither trust a "free" distro made up by employees (non-free) and not volunteers (free)

the example is firefox (one of the major developers is a google employee): they call 3 a simple lift to 2, and they dont remember the fact that firefox would be a ROUND ZERO without the extensions: result? no backward compatibility + bye bye to MY favorite extensions, and REPEAT, all the 2's profile destroyed, 1 workday, NOT five minutes

you probably didn't hear about the fact that mepis is deb-based, pclos mandriva-based, and has nothing superior, except a little bit ease in tuning hardware, and a pathetic resemblance to vista "look and feel", and to be very pumped by reviewers (exactly as ubuntu: "oh, i didnt touch a command line in 6 months!") and here i encounter a lot of people that gently invite to make my distro from the command line: NICE, very ironic, elitist, and useful, very community-"like" feeling...

I DONT HAVE TIME FOR THE DAMNED COMMAND LINE!

NOBODY WOULD NEED IT IF SOMEONE OF THE MAINTAINERS WOULD BE AN ANALYST AND LISTEN THE USERS, THIS IS NOT FREEDOM AT ALL

122 PAGES OF MANUAL TO INSTALL DEBIAN ARE N_O_T FREEDOM

Ubuntu Tweak is not a supported application.

(1) You should not use non-repo software unless you are prepared to be responsible for the consequences.

(2) Your problems are just that, yours that you created yourself and not Ubuntu's fault.

(1) responsible = to pay for my own errors: was my error to choose to leave in ubuntu repo a buggy 3 months aged ntfs-3g? who payed? did the maintainer pay? NO! I payed

(2) Your problem is that you speak knowing nothing: come here by my side, at my desk, and see with your eyes

swoll1980
April 30th, 2008, 03:42 AM
1 - once upgraded with the final hh release, i found that the installer forced firefox 3 BETA, BETA, you know? BETA on a stable release, while i cant have stable apps because of the repos policy (see my posts)

consequences?

3 grabbed all configs and add-ons from 2' directory

3 doesnt support almost any of the key security, privacy, and utilities (i mean really useful utilities, while not necessary) add-ons: well, no problem, back to 2

then i run firefox-2, and i found that ALL extensions no more worked
--> i had to install swiftweasel, grab its grabbed profile directory, and recovery firefox 2's one... just 1 workday:

FUNNY!

2 - i found a geek tiny app: ubuntu tweak: i discovered that ubuntu decided many things for me: the two most important and stupid:
- to load process i didnt required at startup (heavy load process)
- to load some processes TWICE, making two instance going into conflict and generating freeze times
- to limit the maximum load of the cpu to 80%: WHAT? ubuntu decides to limit the speed of my machine without asking me? i set it to 100% and my machine had a real boost: simply i can see appear letters in gmail while i type, and not the day after, i dont have to wait ubuntu mysterious thoughts which freezed my machine for 10-20 seconds every time, and so on...

NOW: do you really think that ubuntu is freedom for human being?

why ubuntu only on dell for example? why lg electronics great laptops are hidden? i dont believe a word about ubuntu philosophy...

and be aware of trusted computing: i dont see anything in ubuntu which took care of that...

i only wait to make mepis to work fine on my machine, than i will turn to it, great user manual, great performances, great and EFFECTIVE and FRIENDLY forum support
:-({|=

newbieforever
April 30th, 2008, 03:50 AM
:-({|=

thanks for your contribute, now it's all clear in my mind, really

and i expect to be censored and banned because i say what i think and the simple truth, while ironic (sarcastic) people like you are considered to make the real spirit of ubuntu live

phrostbyte
April 30th, 2008, 03:56 AM
You make very little sense. Anyway it is fine to use another distro. Ubuntu tries to please most people but it won't please everyone.

swoll1980
April 30th, 2008, 04:00 AM

and i expect to be censored and banned because i say what i think and the simple truth, while ironic (sarcastic) people like you are considered to make the real spirit of ubuntu live

Your welcome ;)

Ripfox
April 30th, 2008, 04:00 AM
You make very little sense. Anyway it is fine to use another distro. Ubuntu tries to please most people but it won't please everyone.

+1 Don't feed the trolls...even though it IS fun to watch them eat too fast and choke sometimes. :)

Ripfox
April 30th, 2008, 04:02 AM

Why didn't you click the little "thanks" button? :lolflag:

EDIT: for a forum that has been so "unfriendly" you sure have thanked alot of people according to your profile...:)

elamericano
April 30th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Isn't there a FF extension that disables version checking for all extentions across the board? Either an extension or an option in the Prefs. But I'm pretty sure it's there. A lot less tedious than changing each extension :)

In about:config, you can add a boolean called extensions.checkCompatibility, then set it to false. After a restart, you can load older extensions - and most of them will work.

the yawner
April 30th, 2008, 05:21 AM

Uhh... Because Dell did a survey on which distro to put on their boxes? I'm not sure if LG has done anything equal to that.

I would advice that you take a few steps back from your machine and try to view things from a different perspective. :popcorn:

akiratheoni
April 30th, 2008, 05:39 AM
i dont believe a word about ubuntu philosophy...

For one, Shuttleworth says that he will never make a deal similar to that of Novell and Linspire. Now, if the deal meant that Microsoft and Ubuntu work TOGETHER instead of for Microsoft, he might consider it. Technically he's not the owner of Ubuntu but he does own Canonical which oversees Ubuntu. So he most likely has a say in what Ubuntu does and does not do.

And the second part is that Ubuntu maintains a strict policy that it only supports free software out of the box. And guess what. IT DOES. Too many people have urged for Canonical to include mp3 and DVD support but they don't! They WANT to stay with the free software philosophy which is something you don't understand.

Why is your opinion the truth?

Then go somewhere else?

why ubuntu only on dell for example?

I am laughing so hard at this comment it's not even funny. :P

no backward compatibility + bye bye to MY favorite extensions

As said before people are saying this like it's a fault of Firefox. It's not. It's the fault of the extension developers.

I realize that you have legitimate (though overused) arguments but your tone is simply condescending and very troll-like.

Riffer
April 30th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Wow alot of anger and paranoid stuff going on.

Unlike MS and Iexplorer, its easy to roll back to FF2, I did it and many others have and not destroy the OS. There is no big deal here, the makers of Ubuntu decided to go with FF3, why I don't know and really don't care its a non issue.

If you don't like it then do move to another distro, thats the freedom of the OSS movement. Just because you think its important doesn't make it important to others so don't get into a knot.

Twitch6000
April 30th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Wow bub,you are acting like ubuntu is Linux,news flash there is about 200 more distros probably more.That is why we say if you don't like one try another.It seems you like debain why not just use debain instead of a debain based?Also it isn't the Ubuntu philosophy it is the Linux philosophy.

akiratheoni
April 30th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Wow alot of anger and paranoid stuff going on.

Unlike MS and Iexplorer, its easy to roll back to FF2, I did it and many others have and not destroy the OS. There is no big deal here, the makers of Ubuntu decided to go with FF3, why I don't know and really don't care its a non issue.

If you don't like it then do move to another distro, thats the freedom of the OSS movement. Just because you think its important doesn't make it important to others so don't get into a knot.

Exactly!

Besides Firefox 3 is going to be released this summer, so FF2 will be outdated soon anyway.

BETA does NOT mean it's completely unstable! It just means it's being tested! I've used Firefox 3 since the alpha stages and more extensively in its betas and it has hardly been unstable for me.

hardyn
April 30th, 2008, 06:03 AM
yes, i'm determined to leave ubuntu

door is over there ---->

i strongly disagree with all its story, its repos policy, the complete lack of listening by the maintainers from "the base" (us)

So they didn't include your suggestion... that doest mean that are not listening... brainstorm.ubuntu.com, proves that are are listening. The developers have a mandate to cannonical and its vision; they cannot include every suggestion.

result? i cant install the version of the stable package i want, but i'm forced to a BETA (firefox) when i dont want it, and to have a 3 releases aged key package (openoffice and ntfs-3g) when i needed it: result? all my windows partitions locked, all permissions destroyed, a week to recover my data, format and have a clean windows installation

you knew that FF would be beta, you knew OO.o would be 2.3, you knew the version of 3g, they didn't hide this fact, ever... nor did they install 8.04 on your machine without asking... sooo...

i dont trust the windows i cant open, but i neither trust a "free" distro made up by employees (non-free) and not volunteers (free)

what is option 3?

you probably didn't hear about the fact that mepis is deb-based, pclos mandriva-based, and has nothing superior, except a little bit ease in tuning hardware, and a pathetic resemblance to vista "look and feel", and to be very pumped by reviewers (exactly as ubuntu: "oh, i didnt touch a command line in 6 months!") and here i encounter a lot of people that gently invite to make my distro from the command line: NICE, very ironic, elitist, and useful, very community-"like" feeling...

NOBODY WOULD NEED IT IF SOMEONE OF THE MAINTAINERS WOULD BE AN ANALYST AND LISTEN THE USERS, THIS IS NOT FREEDOM AT ALL

122 PAGES OF MANUAL TO INSTALL DEBIAN ARE N_O_T FREEDOM

Linux is very much synonymous with command line... its going to happen sooner or later, that is simply par for the course and what attracts alot of users, im sorry that is bothers you so much... no windows, no linux... i guess that leaves OSX?