PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] [ORACLE] Select January first from this year

Asham
April 28th, 2008, 01:00 PM
How can I do a select from an Oracle database where rows are between now and January first (current year). The table has a column "inserted" which is of the type "DATE".

In MySQL it'd be easy but Oracle is, umm, more of a challenge. :D
Shouldn't be too difficult for those of you who know Oracle. Unfortunately for me, I have not used Oracle before.

Adam.

JamesUser
April 28th, 2008, 01:17 PM
This should do.

select * from t_table
where column_inserted between '01-JAN-2008' and sysdate;

If you don't want to hard code start date of the current year, you can do

select * from t_table
where column_inserted between trunc(sysdate,'year') and sysdate;

Asham
April 28th, 2008, 01:40 PM
For future reference if somebody wants to do the same thing, this is what I did:

SELECT ... FROM ... WHERE ... AND TRUNC(inserted) BETWEEN TO_DATE('01-jan-' || TO_CHAR(SYSDATE, 'yyyy'), 'dd-MON-yyyy') AND SYSDATE

Thank you James. :)

JamesUser
April 28th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Hi Asham,

You need not concatenate '01-jan-' and current year of sysdate. trunc(sysdate,'year') does just that.

Try select trunc(sysdate, 'year') from dual; if you want to see what it does. Look at the 10g database reference guide to see what functions are available.

Asham
April 28th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Aha. I didn't know that you see. :)

What I've got is an IP, name of some database, a username+password and portnumber. So when I logon through JDBC, all I have only access to a few views.

JamesUser
April 28th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Well... I don't really understand your first comment. Sorry... :-)

'Dual' is not a view. Its a special table with only one row and one column. Please google for more accurate info.

You don't need special privileges to use trunc(sysdate, 'year') in your query.

Asham
April 29th, 2008, 09:26 AM
What I meant was that I didn't know I could get the reference material for free. I thought you had to pay up to get material.
And since this task is a one-timer, it wouldn't be worth it. Client will be moving away from Oracle.

You have been most helpful. Thank you!

JamesUser
April 29th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Glad to be of help... Gotcha... You need not pay for documentation. Various guides are available here.. http://www.lc.leidenuniv.nl/awcourse/oracle/nav/docindex.htm