PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Cant boot Live-CD

Kiefer Rodriguez
April 28th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Hello all,
I have been using linux for a long time now, and have finnaly convinced my family members to do so, the only issue im facing is the family PC runs Windows ME (I know, I didnt know my family invented time travel either! :P). When I insert the Ubuntu Live-CD and reboot it just boots straight into Windows, So i assumed I must change the boot-order in the BIOS, but the bios is password protected from many years ago, needless to say- no one knows the BIOS password :\
Any advice?

Thanks~
Kiefer

PmDematagoda
April 28th, 2008, 12:06 PM
You should be able to reset the BIOS(and the password along with that) by changing one set of jumpers, did you have a look at the documentation that comes with your motherboard? That usually has it.

russ18uk
April 28th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Failing that, unplug the PC from the mains, pull out the battery, hit the power switch on the PC to drain any residual power from the caps, put battery back in, plug mains back in and turn the PC on.

candtalan
April 28th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Failing that, unplug the PC from the mains, pull out the battery, hit the power switch on the PC to drain any residual power from the caps, put battery back in, plug mains back in and turn the PC on.

In case there is doubt, this is the small battery on the mainboard which powers the bios of course....

Kiefer Rodriguez
April 28th, 2008, 02:38 PM
In case there is doubt, this is the small battery on the mainboard which powers the bios of course....

Thanks for all the advice, I'll be sure to reset the BIOS via removing its power source, I was just making sure there wasnt an easier way before I went ahead and opened up the PC, thanks again guys,

Kiefer