PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] revert to 7.10

goslings
April 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Is there a revert option to take 8.04 back to 7.10
and then try upgrade again (to overcome wireless issues) ?
thanks

PmDematagoda
April 28th, 2008, 11:16 AM
There is no official way of downgrading to an older version of Ubuntu, while there may be some unofficial ways of doing this they are very likely to be dangerous and can severely damage your system.

Your best bet to downgrade back to Ubuntu 7.10 would be to reinstall it.

goslings
April 28th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Your best bet to downgrade back to Ubuntu 7.10 would be to reinstall it.

Is it possible to re-upgrade ? rather than go back to 7.1 and then up to 8.04 ?
I suppose force a repair ?
thanks
Ian

russ18uk
April 28th, 2008, 12:40 PM
The upgrade system will upgrade files which are older, not newer. Hence Upgrade heh. Like Windows, Ubuntu won't go back in time. Back up your /home and anything else you deem important and go back. Or, create a new partition specifically for Gutsy but you may damage your existing home using two different versions of the same desktop.

goslings
April 28th, 2008, 12:44 PM
The upgrade system will upgrade files which are older, not newer. Hence Upgrade heh. Like Windows, Ubuntu won't go back in time. Back up your /home and anything else you deem important and go back. Or, create a new partition specifically for Gutsy but you may damage your existing home using two different versions of the same desktop.

When I generated 7.1 I made a specific partition for Ubuntu with /home for both users and one for win xp as part of dual boot.
Does this mean I could force a (re)install 8.04 into the same partition ?
(Or I could just get wireless working, but after 2 days solid I have had no joy http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=768197
thanks
ian