PDA

View Full Version : so what method did u use to install Hardy?

madjr
April 28th, 2008, 09:25 AM
After a few days everybod upgraded i suppose.

what method did u use?

and how well did it go

First time i used unetbootin, really cool, fast and easy. No CD requiered or windows like wubi (but u may do so from windows too).

Unetbootin works just like the live-cd, but instead uses your old partition as a virtual CD. You'll need to create a new partition. Don't format the partition where Unetbootin or desktop iso are.

you'll also need libqt4-gui, look for it in synaptic

PartisanEntity
April 28th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I did a fresh clean install from the Live CD on my MacBook. On my Asus laptop I did an upgrade.

Tundro Walker
April 28th, 2008, 09:59 AM
You need to add the "Update Manager - Distro Upgrade" option to your menu selection.

I did it that way, as I'm sure quite a few other folks did, too.

It was really difficult, too ...

1) Update Manager says there's updates
2) You click "Upgrade to Hardy" (or whatever the button said)
3) You wait 5 hours for your comp to d/l everything
4) You click a random "OK" box to confirm over-writing some setup files (not sure why they can't start off with a "do you want to Auto-Yes to all?" button ... it would make that easier)
5) It runs, cleans up and you're done

Of course, it reinstalls a bunch of stuff, so you have to go through and uninstall that stuff again. But really, ever since Edgy, I haven't had an issue with using the update/upgrade manager. (System crashed when I tried it from Dapper to Edgy, but from Edgy to Gutsy, and now to Hardy, haven't had any issues).

I'll probably get flamed for not fresh-installing Hardy, but honestly, I thought Ubuntu was striving to go beyond that annoying MS Windows habit.

billgoldberg
April 28th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I always use the livecd to install a new ubuntu version.

Why?

- you can see if everything works (to some degree)
- you can use it to install ubuntu on multiple pc's
- you can use it as a rescue disk
- I want to start from scratch in the customization process.

You have to back up your data before installing, but making a back-up never hurts anyone.

vishzilla
April 28th, 2008, 11:32 AM
used the alternate cd. mounted the iso from the terminal and upgraded

gn2
April 28th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Xubuntu Alternate CD for my old laptop.

Ubuntu Live CD for my desktop PC.

LaRoza
April 28th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Alt disk, install next to my 7.10.

I will delete the 7.10 as 8.04 works fine (better) and everything is the way I like it.

schauerlich
April 28th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Upgraded from Distro Upgrade, but I will give it a clean install eventually. I just don't have the time to fix all the little issues I'll inevitably run into with a clean install with everything I have going on now.

FuturePilot
April 28th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I hit the Upgrade button :mrgreen:

Moop
April 28th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I used a live cd of Hardy beta 2 or 3 and never looked back. :)

hessiess
April 28th, 2008, 07:33 PM
running it alongside feisty. might switch when I get everything working again. but im more lickly to switch when feisty is no longer supported.

aaaantoine
April 28th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Burned a Live CD, and then wrote over my / partition. My intact /home partition saved me a surprising bit of customization work.

venator260
April 28th, 2008, 08:58 PM
For my laptop, I did the Distro upgrade and hoped that I wouldn't have as much trouble as my Feisty>Gutsy upgrade, which I did not. Only had to sudo init 1 and Rebuild X, and the system seems to be perfect.

For my desktop, it will be a fresh install, as I no longer have a use for it to be a Mythbuntu/Ubuntu box, and there is alot of stuff I want to clear off of it, so it's just easier to reformat & reinstall.

Corfy
April 29th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I just used the "Upgrade Manager". Nothing fancy, but it worked.

-grubby
April 29th, 2008, 04:20 AM
I used update manager -d to do a distro upgrade

doorknob60
April 29th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Other, I used Update Manager to upgrade while it was Alpha 6 :)

fedex1993
April 29th, 2008, 04:31 AM
upgraded from gutsy then reinstalled but looks like i am going to give arch a try.

Fedz
April 29th, 2008, 06:25 AM
When I first installed Ubuntu ages ago (Ubuntu/6.10) I used a burnt live CD.

Decided to install on dual boot with Window$ but, soon found out things ran smoother on Ubuntu than Window$ so, when Window$ decided *not* to boot into I formatted the drive and just installed Ubuntu/6.10 as my sole operating system.

I've been upgrading via SPM to new distos since then with no problems :)

retrow
April 29th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Upgrade from Gutsy to hardy alpha 3 went really well. Things were great until kernel 2.6.24.15 came out during beta testing stage. Several devices stopped working because of HAL errors. It wasn't long before final release came out, and I performed a clean install - and things are fine and dandy once again (and we have kernel 2.6.24.16 now).

Quillz
April 29th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I guess "other," I installed a fresh copy of 8.04 onto a virtual machine on my iMac via a disc image.

amar
April 29th, 2008, 09:11 AM
other again:
freash install from a live USB (ran out of CDs)

samjh
April 29th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Voted "other".

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list (change to Hardy)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Worked very well. :) Only CPU and HDD usage spikes are worrying me.