PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error Message Re: Gnome/Daemon Settings

VickiAnn
April 28th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I changed the groups I belonged to yesterday in trying to get something else to work - but haven't changed them back because I've actually forgotten which I should belong to as default but now when I login - I get this error message:

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The last error message was:

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

Does anyone know how I can solve this?

I am not a member of the group with daemon in the name - that's the first thing I did to try and solve this.

VickiAnn
April 28th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I've managed to fix this - it seems to be a common bug and turns out my etc/hosts/ file and /etc/network/interfaces/ files were missing some info.

:D Now all working :D

Kaphius
April 29th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I've managed to fix this - it seems to be a common bug and turns out my etc/hosts/ file and /etc/network/interfaces/ files were missing some info.

How did you manage to fix it?:confused:

jjthomas
April 30th, 2008, 09:50 AM

:confused: How about posting the solution????

Thanks.

-JJ

DeFKnoL
May 7th, 2008, 01:36 AM
VickiAnn was just helpful enough for an experienced Linux user like myself to figure it out. It would have been nicer if she actually posted the solution rather than a tease.

Anyway, I fixed it by doing the following:

made sure that /etc/network/interfaces had the following two lines:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

and /etc/hosts needed this line:

127.0.0.1 localhost

the localhost address is the loopback address