PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Totem in hardy is very slow..

chris4585
April 28th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I've upgraded to Hardy like most people have, and I've had a major problem. One I usually install ubuntu-restricted-extras so I can watch/listen to pretty much any media need I have. Well when i tried to watch video's in totem, the video's play really slowly. How can I fix this? I've installed VLC and it only works half the time, and I really don't even like VLC to start with. Any solutions? If not then I'll just downgrade back to Gutsy. I feel a little disappointed in Hardy after so much waiting, and telling others how great it will be. I've had other problem's too, but not as major.

Now i see why some people stayed with Feisty when Gutsy came out.

loell
April 28th, 2008, 07:20 AM
a number of people have problems with upgrading from gutsy to hardy too, you could either reinstall gutsy or maybe do a clean hardy install.

chris4585
April 28th, 2008, 07:22 AM
a number of people have problems with ugrading too, you could either reinstall gutsy or maybe do a clean hardy install.

Sorry, what I meant by upgrading was actually going from gutsy to hardy clean install from a CD install. I actually first tried a install from the CD, that's when I noticed it, then i whipped off my hard drive, and installed gutsy, out of curiosity I upgraded to hardy and no errors at all.

I'm probably going to go to Gutsy.

loell
April 28th, 2008, 07:38 AM
yeah, if its giving you a slow performance then downgrading would be good :)

i'm also keeping my gutsy partition, just in case.

chris4585
April 28th, 2008, 07:49 AM
yeah, if its giving you a slow performance then downgrading would be good :)

i'm also keeping my gutsy partition, just in case.

Good thing for me its no biggie switching between system's.

FuturePilot
April 28th, 2008, 08:09 AM
What does this say?

apt-cache policy totem-gstreamer

GeneW
April 29th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I'm having the same problems. Slow is not even the right word, maybe glacial would be a better description. Totem runs at something like one frame a minute, I thought that it had locked up at first but then realized that it was still moving but very slowly. Mplayer works fine but I'd rather use totem if I could get it to work.

loell
April 29th, 2008, 11:34 PM
do what futurepilot suggested and paste it here.

GeneW
April 29th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Fixed it. Re-installing gstreamer-totem and then rebooting did the trick.

chris4585
April 30th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Fixed it. Re-installing gstreamer-totem and then rebooting did the trick.

wish i knew that before i installed gutsy back, i'll remember that next time i do install hardy, which probably will be a long while, my system is rock solid with gutsy so i'm not complaining at all.

Fidim
July 27th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Hi:

I just registered to say I had the same problem, and solved it just like it has been said on this thread, installing gstreamer-totem and rebooting. Totem is going smooth now, sad thing Chris had to go back one version because i think hardy is nice.

Thanks!

chris4585
July 27th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Hi:

I just registered to say I had the same problem, and solved it just like it has been said on this thread, installing gstreamer-totem and rebooting. Totem is going smooth now, sad thing Chris had to go back one version because i think hardy is nice.

Thanks!

hey, I'm on Hardy as my main system now, I didn't think anyone else would post on this thread again, well heres a update, I never did install gstreamer-totem (not sure) but how I got my problem fixed was killing pulseaudio every time worked, once i switched everything to alsa it just works flawlessly now. =)

leandromartinez98
August 6th, 2008, 08:52 PM
hey, I'm on Hardy as my main system now, I didn't think anyone else would post on this thread again, well heres a update, I never did install gstreamer-totem (not sure) but how I got my problem fixed was killing pulseaudio every time worked, once i switched everything to alsa it just works flawlessly now. =)

The same thing here. Killing pulseaudio makes the film run fine.
I had the problem running firefox, and when I closed firefox the
film could be seen. Now I realise that this pulseaudio killing solves
the problem as well. This is probably a pulseaudio or totem bug.

nittybitty
August 7th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Same here. Super slow playback in totem, VLC is nice and fast. WTF

Lexicon101
August 7th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I hope pulseaudio is matured in intrepid.. it does seem nice, it just doesn't always work right.
(Although I've got mine right.. I'll edit this with a link to a post I found useful.)

EDIT: here it is...Pulseaudio fixes. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578)